Q. Should I worry about HIV if the precum enters the anus?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 13, 2021

I had a sexual encounter the other night. I received oral sex, and there may have been an instance where his penis rubbed against my anus, but I am not entirely sure if there was precum on the end of his penis or not. He used an Oraquick test and was negative, but he said he has oral a few weeks before the test. Should I be concerned about HIV? I also had some aches and congestion for about a week, but I figured it was just a small cold.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have sexual activities with a male, and now you are concerned about transmission of HIV infection.

If your partner's precum enters into your anus, there is a chance of HIV transmission. HIV is usually diagnosed by testing your blood or a sample of cells taken with a swab from inside your cheek. HIV tests may vary based on how soon they detect the infection. The time between your exposure time and its detection period is known as the window period.

An antigen/antibody test for HIV done on blood from a vein can detect HIV infection 18-45 days after exposure. But blood from finger prick takes a longer period, like 18-90 days, to see HIV.

In the case of the Oraquick HIV test, it can provide you accurate results three months from exposure. Most people will develop antibodies to HIV within this period. It usually provides 92% accurate results.

|