Q. What is the chance of acquiring HIV from reused lancets and needles?

I went for HIV testing in an STD where HIV positive patients do free testing. One guy tested me with a rapid test kit, and he told me to get urine for an STD check. When I came back from the restroom, I noticed that he was playing with the lancet, and he pricked me with the same. I doubted whether the lancet would have pricked him. What are the chance of HIV when he used the lancet that priced him? I also have another query. I have a skin peel on my hand, and I opened the doorknob with my hand. After some time, I noticed that a positive patient also holds the doorknob for opening. Is there a chance of getting affected by this way? I also carried some books, and unknowingly touched my nose and eyes without washing my hands. I have an oral blister on my lips, and I accidentally touched that too. What are the chances of acquiring HIV from all these? Please suggest.

#

First of all, you need to understand that no healthcare worker reuses lancet. They are doing a free HIV test, so they are not going to reuse the lancet.

As far as your query is concerned, one can contract HIV from the reuse of syringes, lancets. Chances depend on many factors like viral load in the infected person, HIV positive or not, how much blood was on the syringe, etc. So, my suggestion for you would be to keep calm. Remember, no healthcare worker reuses lancet or needles.

As far as your blister is concerned, tell me did you take any painkiller following you developed it. Is it painful? Since how many days has it been there? Is it increasing or reducing in size? Revert with the asked details for better help.

I got tested in a center where HIV positive patients do testing. What are my chance right after she pricks her and then she prick my finger. It was free testing. Did you see the pictures I send you? I have a wound on my hand from lifting weights every day (skin peel). When I went to that clinic, I used their restroom. I touched the doorknob, shook hands with them, and they gave me some stuff. What are my chance of that? It has been 21 days since I went for HIV-PCR and fourth generation today. Can I rule out HIV if it i’s negative? Or you suggest me more test? For blister, I do not take any painkillers. It was on my lips like a cold sore. What are my chance if I touch after I touch or shake hand with an HIV positive person? 45 days ago, my friend took me as an escort. While I was waiting in the car, he fingered a girl, did not wash his hand, and after that, he shook my hands and used my phone. What if he carries HIV on his hand. I work out every day, so I have peeling and redness in my hand. What are my chance? How can I rule out HIV?

#

If an infected needle has pricked you, the chances of getting an HIV infection is 5-10%.

HIV does not spread by touching on open sours. If you used toilets, touched things there, and got touched on sour by HIV positive person, you will not get the infection. If your fourth-generation HIV test is negative after 21 days of exposure, you do not have HIV. No further testing is required.

Your exposure with the escort was a low-risk exposure, that too happened 45 days ago, following which your PCR and fourth-generation test are negative. I suppose you should stop fearing and live a normal life.

|