Q. After six months of exposure, I tested negative for HIV in rapid and ELISA test. Is that conclusive?

Dr. Hari Pathave

I had a possible exposure before November 2019. I do not know the exact date. It was oral sex after that I got tested on 19th April, May 28th, and June 14th 2020 all were rapid tests and negative and Elisa on 15th June and it was also negative.

My question is, can any other underlying disease which is not diagnosed affect my HIV test results? Can any unknown health conditions give a false negative? It is now 6 months and 22 days for the Elisa is it conclusive?

Dr. Hari Pathave

Dermatology Venereology
#

If you have tested three times April, May, and June and exposure is on November 19, then it indicates you are negative for HIV completely. You have done a rapid test and Elisa. Western blot test is more confirmatory.

Yes, that false negative concept is there but if you are completely healthy and no any kind of clinical disease then it is difficult to come false negative test results, but results also depend on the quality of kit used and the person who reports that results (called technical error). Window period is one reason for false negative but it is a period of about one to two months after getting an infection and in your case, it happened six months back. So do not worry. But still, if you are worrying then you can go for Western blot test.

| 

Can any other underlying disease which is not diagnosed affect my HIV test results? It is now 6 months and 22 days for the Elisa, is it conclusive?

Dr. Hari Pathave

Dermatology Venereology
#

There is no specific underlying disease that can interfere with test results. Technical errors and window period are the two possible reasons behind false negative test results.

One more possibility of false negative test results is decreased host immunoglobulin production such as in a common variable immunodeficiency and advanced AIDS.

|