Q. I had unprotected sex and did CMIA and CLIA tests. Are these reliable tests for HIV?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2020

I want to enquire about the HIV test and window period. My last exposure was six months back with CSW. It was protected, but I did HIV test on the 45th day, 75th day, 96th day, 120th day, and 168th day of last exposure due to fear. They did HIV tri-dot test, and all are negative. It is an indian accredited lab. Also, to cross-check, I did HIV test from a different lab on the 90th day, 120th day, 150th day, 177th day, and 184th day which also came negative. They did the CMIA combo test though the last one on the 184th day was the CLIA combo test. Do I need more testing? All tests came negative, and no exposure after that. The lab people also did the CMIA combo test though the last test was the CLIA combo test. Are CMIA and CLIA are the same test, and is CLIA combo an excellent and reliable test. I checked with the lab; they told me not to worry. Both are equivalent and the same. I have attached the last two reports. Please check.

Thanks.

#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern. I will solve your doubt, so do not worry. Any test, including antibody testing, is useful to rule out HIV after six weeks and three months. CLIA (Clinical laboratory improvements amendments) and CMIA (Chemiluminescence micropartical immunoassay) are the equivalents and best test for HIV testing. So, now after three months, no need to repeat any testing. You can consider yourself free from HIV (Human immunodeficiency viruses) if no further unprotected exposure after that last exposure six months back. I hope I have solved your query. Let me know if you have additional questions in mind.

Best regards.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

My tests are well past 90 days. The latest test done was on the 184th day, which was in the sixth month; I was just confused about CLIA. In all earlier tests with the lab, they mentioned the CMIA combo. And on the last test, they said the CLIA combo. All are negative for me. Since several tests are available in the lab, I wanted to ask you whether these CMIA and CLIA are good reliable methods.

Thanks.

#

I can understand your concern, and the following is my answer to your follow up question. CLIA and CMIA are both equivalent tests to exclude HIV with high sensitivity and specificity. You had tested after six months of exposure with CLIA. So it is the maximum time to exclude HIV. Now, after six months of exposure, you need not worry and do not do any further testing. You can consider yourself free from HIV. Yes, your CLIA test can exclude HIV indeed, and now after six months, there is no need for further testing. Do not worry and move on. And next time, try to avoid unprotected intercourse. I hope I have solved your concern. You can ask further if any more questions arising in your mind.

Best regards.

|