Q. Please explain the accuracy of HIV Ag/Ab test at 40th day after exposure.

Dr. Kakkar
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on May 26, 2019

How accurate is the HIV Ag/Ab test at 40th day after exposure? I know I should retest after three months, but could the symptoms show up, and the antibody is still hidden? Please give me an explanation.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

The window period of the Ag/Ab test varies from 18 to 45 days. Therefore a negative test at six weeks (42 days) would be considered conclusive in 98-99 % individuals. However, a negative test at 12 weeks is still considered the golden standard (conclusive in 99.9 % of individuals). CDC (centers for disease control) recommends that a negative Ag/Ab test at six weeks is good enough to rule out HIV. Take care.

Do fever, sore throat and headache after sex indicate HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex with my office colleague 15 days back and he looks healthy and happy, but within two weeks of that incident, I got cold, fever 99.8 Farenhite, sore throat, toothache, and severe cough like never before. I am very scared. I got my period four days after sex. I am worried abou...  Read Full »

What would happen if sweat or water dropped into the blood used for HIV testing?

Query: Hi doctor, I took OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV 1/2 antibody test today at a nearby clinic after waiting the window period for exposure of more than 90 days. I was told that the result was negative. My concern may be very paranoid and unnecessary; however, I am more curious than anything. I wanted to ...  Read Full »

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now