HomeAnswersFamily PhysicianhydronephrosisAre high fever and chills symptoms of kidney stone?

Can high fever and chill occur due to kidney stone?

Can high fever and chill occur due to kidney stone?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At January 30, 2016
Reviewed AtJune 15, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 41-year-old woman and started having severe lower back pain and nausea about a week ago. Went to the ER, had a CT scan, diagnosed with a 0.25 inches kidney stone in my right ureter with mild hydronephrosis. I was given Percocet and sent home with instructions to see a urologist. I was not able to get an appointment until yesterday. Two days after my ER visit, I began having severe chills and running fever as high as 101.5. The urologist did a UA yesterday and said I did not have an infection. And also he did a KUB, which showed my stone had not moved at all. He scheduled me for lithotripsy. I continue to have severe chills and fever. I called his office today and he says I probably have flu. Is it possible that I have an infection in my right kidney? Because the stone is blocking the ureter. But, urine I am passing is clear and uninfected.

Please help.

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar


Welcome to icliniq.com.

High fever and chill are indicative of infection indeed and as we have a cause rightly evident there are chances that you may be developing hydronephrosis (accumulation of urine in swollen kidney) in the right kidney and a secondary infection following stasis of urine (stoppage or reduced flow of urine) in the kidney leading to nephritis.

Though urine culture generally picks up an infection in the bladder, nephritis is more of clinical diagnosis with pain and tenderness in the renal angle and high-grade fever accompanying it.

Ideally, you should be started on prophylactic antibiotics to control the infection sooner before septic features or septicemia may occur. I think you should take a second opinion from another urologist too.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sameer Kumar
Dr. Sameer Kumar

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Family Physician

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy