Q. Can high fever and chill occur due to kidney stone?

Published on Jan 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 06, 2019

I am a 41 year old woman and started having severe lower back pain and nausea about a week ago. Went to the ER, had a CT scan, diagnosed with a 6.5 mm kidney stone in my right ureter with mild hydronephrosis. I was given Percocet and sent home with instructions to see a urologist. I was not able to get an appointment until yesterday. Two days after my ER visit, I began having severe chills and running fever as high as 101.5. The urologist did a UA yesterday and said I did not have an infection. And also he did a KUB, which showed my stone had not moved at all. He scheduled me for lithotripsy next Tuesday. I continue to have severe chills and fever. I called his office today and he says I probably have flu. Is it possible that I have an infection in my right kidney? Because the stone is blocking the ureter. But, urine I am passing is clear and uninfected. Please help.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

High fever and chill are indicative of infection indeed and as we have a cause rightly evident there are chances that you may be developing hydronephrosis (accumulation of urine in swollen kidney) in the right kidney and a secondary infection following stasis of urine (stoppage or reduced flow of urine) in the kidney leading to nephritis.

Though urine culture generally picks up an infection in the bladder, nephritis is more of clinical diagnosis with pain and tenderness in the renal angle and high-grade fever accompanying it.

Ideally, you should be started on prophylactic antibiotics to control the infection sooner before septic features or septicemia may occur.I think you should take a second opinion from another urologist too.

What is the permanent solution for testicular pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a mild pain in the right testis since two months. The USG report showed slight thickening of the spermatic cord. Now, after 10 days of antibiotic courses referred by the physician, then the condition is better. But when I lift some weight or drive a car, then the pain starts again...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now