Q. What can be done for insomnia?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2019

I am suffering from insomnia from the past three weeks. Please help.

#

Is this the first time you are experiencing insomnia or there has been a previous history? Sleep problems can happen if you are stressed, anxious or have a mood problem. Is there anything stressful going on in your life ? Do you do shift work? Try to address the root cause and learn relaxation strategies. I see that you are talking Zolfresh 10 mg (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is fie to take it for a few days but not recommended to continue for a longer period.

Try these self-help interventions:

1. Relax atleast an hour before bedtime. You can listen to music, or take a bath.

2. Go to bed at the same time.

3. Have a comfortable bed, keep the room dark.

4. Avoid drinking tea, coffee in the evenings.

5. Avoid watching TV or looking at bright screens in the evenings. It can affect your natural sleep inducing hormone secretion.

6. Avoid day time naps.

7. Do regular exercises.

8. Avoid eating heavy meals before sleeping.

Take care.

|