Q. What can be done for insomnia?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Jun 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2019

I am suffering from insomnia from the past three weeks. Please help.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Is this the first time you are experiencing insomnia or there has been a previous history? Sleep problems can happen if you are stressed, anxious or have a mood problem. Is there anything stressful going on in your life ? Do you do shift work? Try to address the root cause and learn relaxation strategies. I see that you are talking Zolfresh 10 mg (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is fie to take it for a few days but not recommended to continue for a longer period.

Try these self-help interventions:

1. Relax atleast an hour before bedtime. You can listen to music, or take a bath.

2. Go to bed at the same time.

3. Have a comfortable bed, keep the room dark.

4. Avoid drinking tea, coffee in the evenings.

5. Avoid watching TV or looking at bright screens in the evenings. It can affect your natural sleep inducing hormone secretion.

6. Avoid day time naps.

7. Do regular exercises.

8. Avoid eating heavy meals before sleeping.

Take care.

How to overcome insomnia and memory problems?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past three months I have been suffering from worsening insomnia. I fall asleep with great difficulty. I used to get a light fragmented sleep, where I wake up several times and have many dreams. In fact do not even know if I have fallen asleep or not. I just know that time has pass...  Read Full »

My cervix length is small. Can I do some exercise to get normal delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23-week pregnant with DCDA twin. My CL at week 19 was 28 mm and I was asked to take bed rest. Can I do any exercise because I prefer natural delivery? Currently, I am taking Progesterone tablets vaginally and also weekly Progesterone injection.  Read Full »

Could my insomnia be due to increase in Zoloft dosage?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking 100 mg of Zoloft for a number of years. On 14th, my doctor added another 50 mg which I take at bedtime. For the past few days, I have been experiencing severe insomnia and can rarely sleep for more than an hour at a time. In addition, I have begun taking 25 mg of Se...  Read Full »