Q. I get lightheaded and dizzy after quitting Progesterone-only pills. Please help.

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I am a 20-year-old female. I have mild polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and possible endometriosis. I was put on a Progesterone only pill for the past six months, and I thought I was getting more headaches. So my gynecologist advised me to stop for two weeks. Since coming off the pill, I have lightheadedness and dizziness on and off for three weeks. It started 24 hours after stopping the pill. It is very uncomfortable, and it seems the only way to get rid of it may be to start the pill again. Are the dizziness and lightheadedness related to a drop in progesterone levels after coming off? How long do you think it will take the pill to get rid of these symptoms once again? I just started back on Slynd three days ago, and I am searching for relief. I have also had migraines for six years, like my father and his whole family for 30 years. However, the migraines seem completely separate from this issue since it had just changed after coming off the pill.

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you.

Firstly, I must compliment you for analyzing your problem and arriving at a likely solution. Yes, you are right. Maybe your body has developed some dependency on Slynd. But there can be other reasons too like as you said, migraines accompanied by the side effect of Slynd.

I request you to share your reports, which give out PCOS details and what dose of Slynd you were taking, and if you are on any other medications.

However, I am sure you must avoid fatty food, aerated drinks, and be physically very active. I also request you to reduce 3-4 kg weight.

I definitely am in need of relief from these symptoms. I am currently back on the Slynd 4 mg Dropsirnone progesterone-only pill, which was on previously for six months but stopped for the last three weeks. The discontinuation of the hormones made all my severe pain from the possible endometriosis came back, and now this new symptom of very uncomfortable lightheadedness and dizziness feeling. I have an ultrasound from last summer showing my mild PCOS. How long do you think it will take for this pill to get rid of the lightheadedness and dizziness. If it was a progesterone withdrawal? Will antihistamines work to suppress these horrible symptoms while I wait for it to work to get some relief and be able to leave the house? Do you think it is possible that going off the pill created vestibular migraines now?

#

Your scan report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) does not say PCOD, and ovarian volume seems normal. Maybe you were having severe period pain that you were put on POP, thinking it to be because of endometriosis. POP does cause headaches and migraines and may worsen them too.

But stopping POP does not seem to cause your symptom headache, dizziness, and lightheadedness lasting for three weeks. You have to rule out other causes like stress, anxiety, ear lesions, cervical spondylitis, dehydration, etc. You can take plain Paracetamol for relief, but it is better to consult a physician to know the exact cause.

|