Q. I get sudden shaky abdominal pain with dizziness. Could this be a shock?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 25, 2020

I experienced a sudden and severe pain in my stomach (lower part) and anus, which caused me to shake, become dizzy, and really pale, and I have difficulty breathing. I did not faint, but if I were standing up then, I probably would have. It happened to me once before and I was on my period then. I had consulted a doctor then as well and was told that perhaps my body was just shocked because I had skipped a few months of my period. I am also diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia, but I am currently not taking my iron tablets.

This time around, however, I had my period last month and was not on my period at all. I am not sure what it is but wanted to let you know should you have come across a similar situation with one of your patients. Please reply.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Well, most of our patients initially complain to us about very vague symptoms at onset, just like yours. But we explore the possibility based on some more information and yes, of course, investigating them thoroughly.

The pain you mention which made you still and shaky, can be arising from the gut as in abdominal colic (a sudden wave of spasm in muscles within the gut).

Or can be arising from endometriosis which is anther problem of the female genital tract, whereby there is excessive growth of normal uterus tissues in the lower part of the belly.

Thirdly, it can simply be due to perimenstrual syndrome which is pain occurring at the time of menses.

For now, I suggest you to do some test and ultrasound abdomen and pelvis, later we can discuss the findings of your result.

Functional abdominal colic. Perimenstrual syndrome. Endometriosis.

Complete blood count. TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), FT3. Liver function tests. Stool detail report. Urine detail report. US (ultrasound) abdomen and pelvis.

Follow up after investigation to discuss the results.

|