Q. What could result in sudden excruciating lower abdomen pain?

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 17, 2020

My problems began three days ago. Suddenly I felt dizzy and had trouble keeping my balance. My vision started to swim and everything turned yellow. I tried sitting down for a bit and standing up several times, my friend got concerned once he realized I was not over reacting. I suddenly felt the need to go to the bathroom and sat down once again. I do not remember what happened, but I woke up to my friend slapping me and saying that I had fainted. I insisted I did not need to go to the hospital. However, the next day we were walking around town when I started feeling what I thought were my period cramps coming on. I asked my friend to wait by the restroom while I went in to put in a tampon. I had not made it into the stall when what I can only describe as an excruciating pain shocked my lower abdomen, sending me reeling to the floor of the empty bathroom and the force of hitting the floor causing another ripple of pain. My periods are always fairly mild and even when the occasional cramp hit, it was not nearly as debilitating as this was. After around 5 minutes of gasping in pain on the bathroom floor I was able to get up alright and hurriedly shoved a wad of toilet paper in between my labia, concerned that I was giving a mini birth to a huge chunk of my uterus. I felt fine until we were in the convenience store searching for pain relievers when I felt the second wave coming. Doubled over the entire way groaning in pain, my friend paid for the medicine and ran out the door with me. As soon as we sat down on a park bench, I promptly started salivating and vomited for a few minutes. Afterwards, I took the medication Menstridol for the cramp and tried to poop and felt a little better. I am usually very tolerant to pain and this whole thing has been very scary. Could it possibly just be my period? I have never had cramps or symptoms like this before and the whole thing with the fainting was just weird.

#

You are right to be concerned. From your symptoms, it could be a couple of things.

• If you are sexually active or have had unprotected sex in the recent past it is quite likely that you may be having an ectopic that is tubal or even uterine pregnancy.
  • The tubal ectopic pregnancy if undetected is fatal and you need to go to the emergency room. Have an ultrasound and a beta hCG blood tested to rule out pregnancy.
  • This is our foremost concern. If the tube ruptures, then you will lose a lot of blood and then have to undergo emergency surgery.
  • If you are not sexually active, then it could be a fibroid or polyp. Although, to be honest, they do not cause you to faint and so on. Please go to the emergency room as soon as possible.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|