Q. Can meningitis spread through sharing food and drinks?

Published on Aug 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a first year engineering student. I share my food with my friends at college every day. I had a stiff neck today. So I researched online and my search leads me to read about bacterial meningitis. I freaked out because I had never heard about meningitis. About its prevention, the article said to avoid sharing foods. Now, what are my odds of getting meningitis? I was severely dehydrated today because in college I forgot to drink water all day and my urine was bright yellow which is a sign of dehydration. Is this causing my stiff neck? And, what are my chances of getting meningitis?

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I went through your post.

• Firstly, let me assure you that you do not have meningitis because people with meningitis cannot write as you do. It presents with a severe headache associated with vomiting and a very high-grade fever. The headache is so severe that some people bang their head against a wall. So, I hope you get my point.
  • There have been cases reported of meningitis that was caused due to the sharing of food. However, if the food you ate was cooked, then the possibility is nearly nil as most of the bacteria that cause meningitis die during cooking.
  • So, relax. It is just an exhaustion due to the dehydration and nothing else.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

How Do I Overcome Premature Ejaculation?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'11'' and I weigh 91 kg. I plan to get married this year. I am currently on no medication. I currently have the following problems for which I desire to seek some solution for premature ejaculation. I think so, there is some kind of problem on the forehea...  Read Full »

Keeping Your Teeth Clean !!!

Article Overview: Brushing your teeth twice daily helps to remove the plaque and food particles between the teeth and helps to maintain optimal oral health. Read Article

Brush your teeth twice a day using a fluoride tooth paste. Replace your toothbrush every three or four months or sooner if the bristles are frayed.  A worn toothbrush won't do a good job of cleaning your teeth.  Clean between teeth daily with floss or an interdentally cleaner. Decay -...  Read Article

Please advise non-surgical treatment for lumbar lordosis and disc dehydration.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a back pain which has made me stay in bed for two weeks. Now the pain has reduced but I have very limited movement, just to go to the bathroom but still, there is a pain when I want to stand up. I did the MRI test, the result was showing lumbar lordosis is decreased with scolio...  Read Full »