Q. Is the fetus's growth corresponding to its age?

I have attached the reports of my wife's 30th-week scan. I was told that the baby's growth is a bit high. Please suggest your inputs if there is anything that should be done from our side. She has gestational diabetes. Her HbA1c during anomaly scan was 5.5 %. Is there any cause for concern?

#

Nice to hear from you. How are you three doing?

• I still tell you that she is not diabetic. Her blood sugars are normal. A HbA1c of less than 6.5 % indicates that her sugar has been normal for the last three months. I feel that her scan report is also normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Let me explain:
  1. At 32 weeks, the amniotic fluid is at the highest. So, a value of 17 cm is normal. It will reduce over time. Had her sugars been high, this level should have been more than 20.
  2. At 32 weeks, the average weight of the baby is 1.75 kg. So, baby has not been exposed to high blood sugar.
  3. Had the blood sugars been high, the most affected would be the abdominal circumference (AC). The value of head circumference (HC) and AC will be almost the same at 32 weeks. Till then, HC is greater than AC. Even in our body, AC is greater than HC. In the scan, the value of HC is greater than AC and nearly equal. So, there is no chance of high blood sugars.
  • The baby is absolutely fine. At term, the baby will be about 3 to 3.5 kg and as far I see from the reports, the baby will be normal.

Hope I have clarified your query. Do write back if there are any more queries. All the best.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

My wife is just 30 weeks and 2 days pregnant, but her values correspond to 30 weeks and 3 days. But, baby weight predicted is shown to be for 32 weeks, but she is still in her 30th week. Please suggest your inputs as this would help me to educate my wife.

#

• The scan has a sensitivity of one week in the first trimester, two weeks in the second trimester and three weeks in the last trimester. So, up to three weeks more or less is not a problem. Do not get so carried away by the reports. When she is clinically normal and has no medical problems, why worry then.

Hope I have clarified your query. All the best.

|