Q. I had ovulatory dysfunction. Can you suggest a way for me to start a family?

Published on May 17, 2018

I have had ovulatory dysfunction for about seven years. About a year ago, my husband and I decided to try starting for a family. Not seeing any success, we visited a fertility doctor about two weeks ago, she prescribed hormone blood tests. My test results are estradiol serum: 13 pg/ml, prolactin: 4.16 ng/ml, AMH: 1.97 ng/ml, FSH: 7.41 mIU/ml, and LH: 1.93 mIU/ml. Can you please suggest a way forward for me to start a family? Do I need to take a treatment considering my numbers?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing?

• Let me get a few facts straight in relation to the hormones and ovulation, thereby pregnancy.
  1. 28 years is a very good age to get pregnant.
  2. Your weight is within the normal range. So, anovulatory possibilities are low.
  3. Prolactin and Luteinising hormone are normal. 
  • Usually, a lady is born with a fixed number of eggs. Every month, she keeps ovulating and expelling the best eggs. So, by 35 years of age, she loses most of the good eggs and by 40 years, the leftover good eggs are minimal. So, the chance of a healthy pregnancy is very low. As the number of eggs from the ovary keep depleting, the brain has to repeatedly order the ovaries to release the best of the leftover eggs. So, initially, FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) which is under 4 mIU/ml is not enough to get good eggs. The overflow of eggs from the ovary is blocked by AMH (anti-Mullerian hormone).
  • So, as the number of eggs reduces, the FSH is needed in higher doses for the effect and AMH has to bow lower to release the eggs. So, in your results, FSH is more than 4 mIU/ml and AMH is gone down to 1.93 mIU/ml. So, all this indicates that the eggs are at a lower number. So, you may need a good ovulation induction with hormones injections.
  • With good stimulations, you should get two to five good eggs and the doctor can control the trigger to ovulate it. Then you can either have normal contact or ask for IUI (intrauterine insemination). If the eggs are very low or enough number of eggs are not produced, you can have a pregnancy by IVF (in-vitro fertilization) with donor eggs. So, go ahead with stimulation and hope for the best.

Hope I have clarified your query. All the best.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

I got period in mid follicle stimulation cycle. Is it fine?

Query: Hi doctor, I was going through follicle stimulation. My doctor started with Siphene 100 mg for five days, moved to FSH injections 75 for five days and when there was not enough growth in follicles she asked me to inject Humog 75 for two days. However, I got my periods the day I took the first Humog...  Read Full »

Although urine tests are negative, why am I having pregnancy symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 11 days late for period. My husband had snip two years ago. I am having pregnancy symptoms although the tests are negative. What could be the problem? Thank you.  Read Full »

Trying to Get Pregnant? Infertility Treatments Explained.

Article Overview: Infertility is when a couple is unable to conceive after 12 months of regular sexual relationships without protection. If the patient is more than 35 years old, then infertility treatment is started earlier. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena
Infertility Specialist

Infertility is a condition where the couple is unable to conceive after 12 months of regular sexual relationship without birth control. In some cases we do not wait for this 12 month period to start investigating eg if the patient’s age is 35 or more, patient has irregular menstrual cycles, P...  Read Article

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now