Q. Suffering from Heart palpitations, Hypertension, Depression and Anxiety. Need advice

Dr. Rohit Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I am a 26 year old male. I am having hypertension, palpitation, depression and anxiety. ECG, 2D echo, renal Doppler, VMA culture, cortisol and lipid profile are normal. I need advice.

#

The tests you have mentioned are used to find a cause for significant hypertension.

You have not mentioned anything about your BP levels and whether they are really significantly high. We have no details of your weight, your lifestyle and your family history.

There can be a possibility of hyperthyroidism which would cause all these features in a normal looking adult.

Also, you should get a psychological evaluation done. Alternating depression and anxiety shows that you are under severe stress and tension due to some cause.

The BP being high might just be a sign of that stress.

Please get a thyroid function test done and look for a more common cause. Medications will help a lot.

Consult a cardiologist online for further help --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

My current BP level is normal usually between 120/80 to 130/80. My main problem is palpitation. I can feel heart rate even when I am resting. If I do exercise, it becomes annoyingly noticeable. Whenever there is some stress my BP shoots up to 150/90 on regular basis. I am not on any type of medication. Yes, my thyroid tests were normal along with other tests that my doctor performed to diagnose young age hypertension. I always complain to my doctor that I have abnormally fast pulse but he always blamed my anxiety which is partly true. But even in utmost comfortable position my pulse is above 100 which certainly was in direction of some cardiac arrhythmia. I did standard stress test today. The report says TMT negative but resting ECG shows sinus tachycardia. I am attaching reports here. Please advise further tests. I have had my psychological evaluation done. Based on the history and test findings, the impression is currently suggestive of mixed anxiety and depressive disorder with predominant Cluster C personality traits on Axis II. Please let me know if you need more details.

#

Do not worry. There is no major abnormality seen in your reports. Do not get so many tests done.

• In any case, TMT would have come negative. You are too young to have a blockage.
  • My suggestions are, to start on tablet Metolar (Metoprolol) 25 mg once a day. This will reduce your heart rate to normal levels, decrease anxiety, improve on any arrhythmias, and you will feel relaxed.
  • Also start on any anxiety reducing drugs; tablet Alprax (Alprazolam) is the safest to start 0.25 mg at bedtime.

Please do not worry about things so much; you are just fine.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|