Q. I have mild dizziness and linger feel on my cheeks. Is this any serious issue?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka

I started having these lightheaded waves and went to the doctor about two months ago. They said I was vitamin D deficient and pre-diabetic. Since then, I have been on vitamin D supplements and have lost 20 pounds and eaten very healthy, and exercised daily. Still, I have the waves, although less prevalent, but a little more when I spend a lot of time on a computer.

About a month ago, my lower right eyelid started to feel tight., I saw an eye doctor, and the best he could say is some blockage in my oil glands in my right eyelid. Since then, I still have that annoyance that comes and goes despite using hot compresses multiple times a day. I would not have worried about that, but the past two weeks, I have noticed a strange sensation that lingers in my face and cheeks on both sides, although more prominent on the right whenever I take off my mask after being out in public or when I would lay down and rest either cheek on a pillow. It does not hurt. But it never bothers me while the mask is on or while I am resting my head. I have an MRI scheduled with my neurologist next week, but these new cheek sensations have come up since I talked to him, and it is hard to get in touch with him to follow up. He thought the original feelings in my head were due to anxiety. Please help.

#

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious medical condition. As you are prediabetic, the cheek feeling could be just a nerve issue. As you are scheduled for a brain MRI, it will also help exclude MS or any other central nervous system disorders.

The dizziness could be related to blood glucose fluctuations or a wrong posture (your neck). An inner ear disorder cannot be excluded either. Anyway, in my opinion, nothing serious is going on. I recommend performing regular physical activity, trying to correct your posture, and follow a balanced diet.

I was worried that the timing of these two symptoms being a month or so apart and being active now would mean something was wrong? Or something that could cause both of these symptoms, like a tumor or something? If there is anything, even that could cause these two symptoms? Is it possible to have diabetic nerve issues in prediabetes?

I have been trying to put a name on the face symptoms, but nothing seems to fit since I still have the sensation and feeling of muscle control with no pain or pins and needles. What would classify this symptom as? Would the blood glucose fluctuation still be a potential reason if it does not correlate with eating? If the nerve issue is due to prediabetes? Is there something I can take or keep eating healthy and hope it subsides?

I have been having near anxiety attacks, convincing myself that it was a brain or neck tumor. Have you read my MRI scans?

#

Your symptoms are not suggestive of any brain tumor. The face feel is called paresthesia. It means abnormal feeling in the absence of any real stimulation. Even in prediabetes, we can find nerve damage. Anyway, because these symptoms are not persistent, I do not think that this is the case.

Blood sugar fluctuations are not always related to eating, as there is a metabolic disorder like prediabetes. Of course, I can review your brain MRI, maybe not so precisely like a radiologist. But I would determine if there is a tumor present or not or MS. So, you can upload it as soon as you are able.

|