Q. Please suggest the best medication for early parkinson's disease.

Dr. Aida Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2020

I was diagnosed with parkinson last year at the age of 45. I am on Azilect since then. My symptoms are mild, stiffness, lately I did not sleep well and I suffer from RLS about 4-5 nights per week. I do sport but everything which required quick movement, I am not able to do it well. My neurologist suggested that I start sifrol ER 0.26 mg, should I start or not? I have a Neupro patch samples 2 mg which I tried 2 days ago, I sleep better and have more ability to move quickly, so I see the difference but I feel headache little bit.

Should I start treatment with Agonistes dopaminergic? What is the best first treatment for early onset in my case? Is there Neupro 1 mg , could I take Neupro 2 mg each two days?

#

I read carefully your question and would explain that in the early stages of Parkinson's disease, in young persons, it is recommendable to start treatment with IMAO (which you are already taking, Azilect) and a dopamine agonist. In the this regard, both Neuropro and Sifrol ER would be good treatment options. Dopamine agonists can help improve RLS too. You can increase the dose of Neuropro to 2 mg daily after two weeks. Headache and increased sleepiness are common adverse effects of this drug. If you do not tolerate it you can switch to Sifrol ER.

|