Q. I often have numbness and burning sensation with pain in my arms and feet. Please advice.

Dr. Aida Quka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

For the past three weeks, I have been having all kinds of symptoms. For the last six months, I would get a burning sensation and numbness in my legs when I stand or sit for too long. I worked through it for a while, and then I noticed that I would get a burning sensation all over. The burning sensation tends to come and go on its own.

Three weeks ago, I woke up, and it felt that I had just done an intense workout. Both arms and legs were hurting, and that night I had terrible pain in my left pinky and ring finger as well as pins and needles. The day after that, I noticed my muscles are twitching. I first saw them in my leg, but now I feel them everywhere from time to time. I still have an itch in my foot, along with twitching. Last week I had constant arm pain; it almost feels like a cramping, but the muscle is not contracting, and they are sore when I try to hold them above my hear. I also get what is described as an achy pain in my fingers and toes. I did notice last week while lying in bed that my leg jumped. Today, pins and needles have gotten a little worse as I felt them all around my body.

I just had an x-ray of my back, and my GP said I had some minimal degenerative disk disease in my thoracic spine. I do not know if that has anything to do with these symptoms. A routine blood test reveals an elevated ESR level (41 up from 36) and a high CRP level 9.9. I currently have Meloxicam and Pantoprazole.

My father has MS, and I do not know if this could be it. Any advice would be great.

#

Your symptoms suggest a peripheral nerve disorder (not MS, which is a central nervous system disorder). For this reason, I would recommend consulting with a neurologist for a physical examination and performing nerve conduction studies to examine your nerves.

The ring and pinky finger's pain is related to a pinched ulnar nerve, probably due to a wrong posture during work or sleeping.

Other tests which I would recommend doing would be:

- Vitamin B12 and vitamin D plasma levels for possible deficiency.

- Magnesium and different electrolytes levels.

- ANA (antinuclear antibody) and ANCA (anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies) titer antibodies.

It would help if you discussed it with your doctor on the above tests.

I hope you will find this answer helpful.

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need it.

Kind regards.

|