Q. I am urinating once in every 30 minutes. Is this UTI?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I am a 49-year-old female. I am recently experiencing polyuria. I have to urinate almost every 30 minutes very urgently, and I void nearly 240 ml each time without any pain or blood in the urine.

I just had a routine urinalysis with microscopic examination. All results were normal except for the WBC esterase trace. What could this be indicative of? Is UTI still a possibility? I am currently on Biotin 10000 mcg.

#

Increased urine frequency is abnormal. The frequency of urinating should be every two hours (up to eight times in 24 hours), and the amount of urine should be about 400-500 ml each time. The causes for this problem can be many. If this problem happened recently, it might be due to infection and can be detected by urine culture. If this issue is for a few weeks to months, it can be overactive bladder or interstitial cystitis. It can also be caused by stone in the lower ureter or bladder as well. Investigations and work up to reach diagnosis is required.

It would be thankful if you send me your urine test report. In addition to that, you need a urine culture to detect whether you have a urinary infection? Get done ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder) to check for any abnormality or stone in the urinary system. If cultures were negative, then you will need flexible cystoscopy and biopsy to detect any issue with your bladder and diagnose interstitial cystitis. We can take it step by step. I need a picture of your urine analysis report and do urine culture ultrasound.

At the moment, you can start tablet Tolterodine 4 mg once daily. WBC in urine analysis is common, and it does not necessarily mean you have an infection. It can be due to stones as well or even any abnormality with your bladder mucosa.

Urinalysis report is attached.

#

I reviewed your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It showed WBC (white blood cells) and RBCs (red blood cells). It indicates the inflammation of the bladder mucosa. First, we need to have a urine culture to check whether you have UTI (urinary tract infection), and it will be easy to treat then. Ultrasound KUB is simple, and radiation-free will also give us valuable information about your urinary systems like stones, obstruction, or other abnormality.

Please follow up after those tests, and according to the results, we can decide further. You can take the medication as I prescribed. Please note that you should not be on any antibiotics 48 hours before doing urine culture.

|