Q. Can I get pregnant after having sex on the 4th day of periods?

Published on Apr 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 23, 2019

I had sex on the 4th day of periods and took i-pill after 69th hour. Is there any chance to get pregnant?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

There are no chances of pregnancy as you had sex on the 4th day of your cycle and you were in your safe period when ovulation would not have taken place and hence no chances of conception or fertilization.

Moreover you have taken an i-pill as well within 72 hours so it is like double protection.

You may experience some spotting and bleeding as withdrawal within 5-7 days of i-pill intake and that shall further reassure that you are not pregnant.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Someone said that ovulation can happen during the time of periods too. Is it true?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

No it is a wrong conception unless you have been having irregularly irregular cycles and delayed ovulation as in cases of PCOS.

But with 4th day of menses it means that endometrium is being shed and fresh endometrium would grow in next 10-12 days to allow any implantation.

• Let us presume on that 4th day then still even if there is a fertilization then due to inadequate endometrium, implantation shall not occur and you would still be safe.
  • However, you may get a serum beta-hCG test done after 7 days after intercourse to check for hCG levels.
  • If the hCG levels are less than 5 ng/dL, then you are surely not pregnant.

My pregnancy tests are repeatedly negative. Could I still be pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex on the 18th of last month. It was the sixth day of my periods. I had an I-pill six hours after having sex. It has been one month and 25 days. I did not get my periods. I am checking for pregnancy every week, and it shows negative. The last date I tested was on the...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepika Joshi Khare

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you had intercourse during the safe period, the chances of pregnancy are almost negligible. Your pregnancy test as on the 4th is also negative. Repeat the test on the 11th. If it is negative, then just relax. I hope you did not have intercourse after the 18t...  Read Full

Is spotting due to I-pill or early pregnancy symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor,I had unprotected sex five month back and took I-pill within 12 to 14 hours. I have done home tests on the sixth and ninth day which were negative. I had brown spotting on the 13th day and some spotting today as well. My last period was ten days before having sex. Is the spotting due to th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sweta Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, the best way to find out whether this is spotting due to pregnancy or I-pill is by doing a simple blood test namely the serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) to rule out pregnancy. Please share the report when ready. Home pregnancy tests are not very accur...  Read Full

After I-pill, I had a flow but it was not heavy. What is the chance of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I need an urgent help. I was on my fifth day of my periods and I made out with my partner. I had my pants and my panty on and he had his penis out. He ejaculated on my pant, and I saw that some portion of my panty was wet as well. And I felt wet in the skin of the lower portion of abd...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? I do not see any reason for you to worry. Let me start by giving few basic facts about the period. Usually, ovulation occurs on the 12th to the 16th day of periods and life of the egg is 24 hours. The life of the sperm is 72 hours. So there is n...  Read Full