Q. My sleep is very disturbed. Is this anxiety-related?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
Published on Nov 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 22, 2019

Hello doctor,

This all began about two and a half months ago when I went through an extremely stressful period. I started having trouble sleeping. The stressful period has long passed but my sleep still is not back to normal. For the past six to eight weeks, I can easily fall asleep, but wake up every two hours or so. I wake up and get back to sleep within five to 10 minutes at the most. But it is very annoying. I wake up in the morning not feeling refreshed due to the fact that I have woken up four or so times throughout the night. I have no trouble getting back to sleep. So, I do not believe this is stress or anxiety related. Any ideas?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

• This is known as an inability to maintain sleep wherein falling asleep and waking is unaltered, but there are multiple sleep breaks occurring.
  • You describe it as being recent in onset, persistent, started after a very stressful period and most importantly, you are not feeling fresh in the morning.
  1. Anxiety typically has brought about these sleep difficulties and worries during this period. There are a couple of differential diagnosis that comes to my mind.
  2. Depression: One possibility is that the stressful experience precipitated an episode of depression. Sleep maintenance difficulty is seen in depression. Besides depression could also contribute to not feeling fresh in the morning. These are just two symptoms and much more is needed to diagnose depression like loss of interest, thinking difficulties, guilt, weight changes, feeling of sorrow, etc. You can check by yourself with this online depression screening test to confirm the diagnosis. It is also possible that you were depressed during the stressful period. The depression has resolved but sleep issue is a residual symptom that is yet to resolve.
  3. Sleep apnea: This is less likely. This will also have symptoms of snoring and remaining drowsy all day. The feeling of inadequate sleep stays 24 hours in such a case. There are phone applications which monitor your sleep including snoring and body movements to help in diagnosis. Either case, I would advise against using hypnotic medicines as they worsen both depression and sleep apnoea. You could try taking some natural supplements like melatonin or/and magnesium glycinate for symptom relief. Treating the underlying disorder will be the best treatment.

Warm regards.

For more information consult a sleep medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/sleep-medicine-physician

I am developing withdrawal symptoms of Paroxetine. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old male, and I am a doctor. From the past year, I have been suffering from delayed onset sleep disorder, I sleep at 4 AM and wake up after noon. I saw a psychiatrist, and he put me on Melatonin, Modafinil, and Zolfresh. But I am still unable to sleep at the desired time, a...  Read Full »

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

Article Overview: Depression is among the top five causes of morbidity in today’s world. It remains largely undiagnosed and underreported because of a lack of adequate knowledge, both among the patients as well as the physicians. It is majorly characterized by the presence of a continuous sad mood, anhedonia, and easy fatiguability along with a host of secondary symptoms, which aid in quantifying the severity of the depressive disorder. So, it is the need of the hour that awareness is raised among the masses regarding this illness that is soon poised to be the number one cause of morbidity. Read Article

Dr. Ajay Singh

Depression has been recorded in the annals of history since time immemorial, but never has it assumed so much significance as it has in today’s world. With the advent of technology today, the human society is evolving by leaps and bounds with every passing day. As the saying goes that every co...  Read Article

Ask a Sleep Medicine Physician Now