Q. My arm got trapped in a door. What should I do?

Dr. Srikanth Nara
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 13, 2019

I got my arm trapped between a metal pole and an electrically controlled door. The blood flow was cut off for around 30 seconds to a minute. My arm is quite painful and swollen. It has some blood spots and my wrist hurts when I bend my hand and fingers. Do I need to see a doctor? Is it sprained? What should I do?

Dr. Srikanth Nara

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Having blood spots over the skin is a sign of the hematoma (blood collection), which could be the cause of soft tissue injury in that area.
  • You need to see a doctor if you observe any of the following.
  1. Watch for the color of your arm and the injured area. If it is turning to blue, then that is contusion.
  2. If pain does not get better in 2 days.
  3. Difficult to move your elbow, wrist or finger with painful movement.
  4. Tingling and numbness of your forearm and hand.
  • At home, use ice packs and do not use hot pack. Give complete rest of your arm, forearm and wrist at least for a week.
  • Better, if you can use a splint, elbow splint. Also, I suggest painkillers if you have severe pain.

Revert back after two days to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|