Q. My arm got trapped in a door. What should I do?

Dr. Srikanth Nara
Published on Aug 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 13, 2019

I got my arm trapped between a metal pole and an electrically controlled door. The blood flow was cut off for around 30 seconds to a minute. My arm is quite painful and swollen. It has some blood spots and my wrist hurts when I bend my hand and fingers. Do I need to see a doctor? Is it sprained? What should I do?

Dr. Srikanth Nara

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Having blood spots over the skin is a sign of the hematoma (blood collection), which could be the cause of soft tissue injury in that area.
  • You need to see a doctor if you observe any of the following.
  1. Watch for the color of your arm and the injured area. If it is turning to blue, then that is contusion.
  2. If pain does not get better in 2 days.
  3. Difficult to move your elbow, wrist or finger with painful movement.
  4. Tingling and numbness of your forearm and hand.
  • At home, use ice packs and do not use hot pack. Give complete rest of your arm, forearm and wrist at least for a week.
  • Better, if you can use a splint, elbow splint. Also, I suggest painkillers if you have severe pain.

Revert back after two days to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Why am I having nosebleeds and dryness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, 22 years old, 110 pounds (50 kg), and height 160 cm. I rarely have nosebleeds, but I had one two days back and again this morning. It woke me up before work. The last lasted for 10 minutes (it seemed like a normal nosebleed). The one this morning lasted around 45 minute...  Read Full »

Can trigger thumb recover without surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby boy has trigger thumb problem, and he is just 11 months old. Our family doctor has suggested surgery, as a treatment option. We are ready for surgery, but we are thinking about the baby's age. Is his age sufficient for the surgery? We are thinking to get the surgery done after 18...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in leg on moving my foot up and down?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male. I was playing basketball with my friend and his knee went hard into the lower outside of my lower left calf. After that, it began to hurt and now it has been about six hours and I struggle to put weight on it. It sends pain down into my foot and ankle and movi...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now