Q. Is it true that dairy products are not good for us? Are the alternatives healthy?

Dr. Suneetha B S

Should we buy into the idea that dairy is not so great for us? Are the alternatives as healthy as we are led to believe? What about the option of just giving up milk and not trying to replace it with anything, is that a good idea? Do you have advice on choosing the best milk alternative?

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

The idea of quitting dairy is quite controversial. There is a lot of debate on this topic. If you are giving up milk products, you might have to replace it with some other form of protein like sprouts, nuts, etc.

The alternatives to milk these days are soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk and rice milk. While these are easily available in supermarkets, it is very important to 'read the labels' of any food item you buy. This rule applies to these alternatives for milk too. I personally have read labels on packs of almond milk, soy milk, etc., and found a lot of chemical additives in it.

Follow a basic rule - if you do not understand an ingredient or if it sounds like a chemical name, it probably is not good for you.

You may be better off drinking real milk than these alternatives that are loaded with chemicals. If you buy milk, try to buy organic milk which is free of antibiotics or hormones.

If you really want to give up milk and move to other alternatives of milk, then it is a good idea to make it in your kitchen. Almond milk, coconut milk, and oats milk can easily be made at home. You can check online video resources for this.

I hope that helps.

For more information consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

| 

Would having milk or water before swab test alter the DNA?

Query: Hi doctor, After my unprotected sex, I had spotting just for a single day. Now I assume it was when implantation took place as I missed my periods and confirmed pregnancy two weeks later. My question is when does implantation happened exactly? Secondly while we were waiting for swab test my child h...  Read Full »

Which formula milk shall I opt for my baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 5 months old. Since I had less milk, she was formula fed. But, she developed a gas problem. We keep on switching the brand of formula milk, but it did not suit her. Her doctor advised Colicaid, but she still has issues. Can you please advise which formula milk is good for ...  Read Full »

Which formula milk is better, premium or plain?

Query: Hi doctor, Can you tell me the difference between Dexolac stage 1 and Dexolac stage 1 premium?  Read Full »

Ask a Nutritionist Now