Q. My recurrent stomach pain subsides only after vomiting or farts. Why?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

I am suffering from severe stomach pain once in two months. This pain is usually continuous for four to five hours, and either after vomiting or after a fart pain, it will end. Is this any serious problem?

#

Well, the seriousness of it totally depends upon the how severe the pain is and the underlying reason for the pain. Given the span of four to five hours and continuous pain occurring only in episodes, suggests pain secondary to gall bladder and pancreas related.

The other features of pain has to be recalled and reported before assuming the potential diagnosis. Like what type of pain is it? Cramp or colicky or spasm? Piercing, needle type of pain? Vague pain with no particular characteristic? Does pain goes to back, or to right or left lower chest? Did you lose some weight in this duration? Did you have an ultrasound of the abdomen before? Do you have change in the stool form like stools became loose to watery in these days? Do you use alcohol, smoke or any other addiction?

The vomiting which just ends the pain, is typical of a colicky pain or a spasm of the gall bladder may be due to stones, debris, or inflammation otherwise.

Gall bladder stones. Gall bladder functional pain. Abdominal colic. Stricture in the small bowel or large bowel.

Once a presumptive diagnosis is made.

Follow up as advised.

|