Q. Why do I have burning sensation and itching even after taking antibiotics for urinary infection?

Answered by
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Nov 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 33 year old healthy male. Last month, I had an unfortunate sexual exposure (condom's head broke off). I quickly pulled out and washed the genital area with a bathing soap. After few days, I started having a slight itching sensation in the penis. I visited a urologist and he asked me to undergo urine routine and culture tests. The urine culture report did not show any bacterial growth, but the urine routine showed some abnormalities. I have attached those two reports. On subsequent visit, the doctor prescribed me a 10 day antibiotic course (Microdox LBX 100 mg) to be taken twice a day. In addition to that, he also asked me to wash the penis with Betadine Povidone-iodine solution twice a day. The antibiotic course got over two days back. But since then, I have been noticing a slight burning sensation after passing urine, especially during morning and afternoon hours. Today, there is a slight pain in the penis. I checked the area, but did not find any abnormality. Please help in resolving this issue.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology


Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your reports and I can understand your concern (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • The report you have mentioned clearly points towards urinary tract infection (UTI). Presence of RBCs, increased WBCs and epithelial cells clearly indicate UTI.
  • You have successfully completed the antibiotic course and in my opinion the infection has been resolved.
  • Even after successful treatment in UTI slight burning sensation during passage of urine can persist for some weeks.
  • I would advise you to increase the water intake, take at least 3-4 liters of water or fluids per day. This will help to clear the infection and will reduce burning sensation.
  • For some time you can use urine alkalizers like Alkacip syrup (Disodium hydrogen citrate). Take this liquid two teaspoons three times a day with water for five days. This would reduce the burning sensation.
  • Remain relaxed and the infection will get resolved. Get your tests repeated after two weeks.

Revert back with the reports to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I am a bit relieved now. I will share the test reports once I do the tests. Thank you again.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • Do not forget to have plenty of water and citrus fruits. Also, take cranberry juice daily for early recovery.

Revert back to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What is the reason for red meatus and burning sensation during urination?

Query: Hi doctor, My meatus is red and has a small spot on one side. There is a constant burning sensation when I urinate. I am frequently urinating in small amounts. Recently, I had a DRE, and they told me that my prostate is enlarged. I have a foul smell from my penis. I never had this problem before. I...  Read Full »

My 7 year old daughter has repeated urine infections. How to clear it out?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter aged 7 years has a urine infection. We have done a urine culture as well as regular analysis and found that there is an infection. She has this problem from a long time. She has a bad habit of holding her urine for a long time until she can hold it no more.  Read Full »

Kindly recommend a medicine for urine infection.

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from a urinary infection for the last one week. I am unable to control urine. But, no medication is taken yet. I am a 34 year old female. My height is 154 cm and weight 76 kg.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.