Q. Why do I have burning sensation and itching even after taking antibiotics for urinary infection?

Published on Nov 18, 2017

I am a 33 year old healthy male. Last month, I had an unfortunate sexual exposure (condom's head broke off). I quickly pulled out and washed the genital area with a bathing soap. After few days, I started having a slight itching sensation in the penis. I visited a urologist and he asked me to undergo urine routine and culture tests. The urine culture report did not show any bacterial growth, but the urine routine showed some abnormalities. I have attached those two reports. On subsequent visit, the doctor prescribed me a 10 day antibiotic course (Microdox LBX 100 mg) to be taken twice a day. In addition to that, he also asked me to wash the penis with Betadine Povidone-iodine solution twice a day. The antibiotic course got over two days back. But since then, I have been noticing a slight burning sensation after passing urine, especially during morning and afternoon hours. Today, there is a slight pain in the penis. I checked the area, but did not find any abnormality. Please help in resolving this issue.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I have gone through your reports and I can understand your concern (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The report you have mentioned clearly points towards urinary tract infection (UTI). Presence of RBCs, increased WBCs and epithelial cells clearly indicate UTI.
  • You have successfully completed the antibiotic course and in my opinion the infection has been resolved.
  • Even after successful treatment in UTI slight burning sensation during passage of urine can persist for some weeks.
  • I would advise you to increase the water intake, take at least 3-4 liters of water or fluids per day. This will help to clear the infection and will reduce burning sensation.
  • For some time you can use urine alkalizers like Alkacip syrup (Disodium hydrogen citrate). Take this liquid two teaspoons three times a day with water for five days. This would reduce the burning sensation.
  • Remain relaxed and the infection will get resolved. Get your tests repeated after two weeks.

Revert back with the reports to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

I am a bit relieved now. I will share the test reports once I do the tests. Thank you again.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• Do not forget to have plenty of water and citrus fruits. Also, take cranberry juice daily for early recovery.

Revert back to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

What is the reason for red meatus and burning sensation during urination?

Query: Hi doctor, My meatus is red and has a small spot on one side. There is a constant burning sensation when I urinate. I am frequently urinating in small amounts. Recently, I had a DRE, and they told me that my prostate is enlarged. I have a foul smell from my penis. I never had this problem before. I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a urinary tract infection which has resulted in some inflammation around the meatus. I would like to know whether you had tenderness in your prostate during an...  Read Full

My 7 year old daughter has repeated urine infections. How to clear it out?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter aged 7 years has a urine infection. We have done a urine culture as well as regular analysis and found that there is an infection. She has this problem from a long time. She has a bad habit of holding her urine for a long time until she can hold it no more.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From what age did she started having UTI (urinary tract infection)? How often does she get UTI? Does she have a fever now? How is the general condition? Once this episode resolves, she needs an ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureters, and bladder) with PVR (po...  Read Full

Kindly recommend a medicine for urine infection.

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from a urinary infection for the last one week. I am unable to control urine. But, no medication is taken yet. I am a 34 year old female. My height is 154 cm and weight 76 kg.  Read Full >>

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur Nagpal

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.First get a complete urine examination done along with urine culture. Keep a good perineal hygiene.You may use some vaginal wash. I suggest you antibiotic like Levofloxacin along with tablet Darilong (Darifenacin) once a day to treat urine infection and control urine. Cons...  Read Full