Q. How to confirm my pregnancy?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 29, 2020

I am 29 years old and trying to get conceive. After my last menstrual cycle as per doctor advice I had HCG 5000 injection for ovulation. As per the follicular study, we had intercourse for two days after ovulation. I bled little with some dark coffee brown on the 11th of the next month, which was my due date. But, it was only on that day. Normally, I used to bleed heavily for almost five days. I thought it was an implantation bleeding, so I took a home pregnancy test after seven days and the result was negative. My breasts are swollen. I am getting tired even if I walk a little. I am getting headache almost every day. I am wondering whether I am pregnant. My doctor said no blood test required as it showed negative. But, I somehow feel that I am pregnant. What to do?

#

The history typically suggests an implantation bleed, but as your dark brown bleed coincides with the menstrual due date. It may have been scanty menses as well.

Now, as you have done the urine pregnancy test after 7 days post missed periods and it was negative, it does rule out pregnancy.

As you feel that you may still be pregnant, the best way is the blood serum beta hCG test (human chorionic gonadotropin), which can be done to allay your doubt. If the beta hCG levels are more than 1, then the pregnancy is confirmed. Else, if it is less than 1, then it is ruled out completely.

The symptoms you are experiencing can be safe attributed to premenstrual syndrome if the test is negative. Premenstrual syndrome mimics early pregnancy symptoms like headache, nausea, sore breasts, mild cramps and increased frequency of urination.

This may indicate that you may resume your menses in a few days if the beta hCG is negative as well.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|