Q. Can vitamin D supplement worsen constipation?

Published on Jun 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

I am a 30 year old male. I have vitamin D deficiency of about 6.51 ng/mL. Also, I am suffering from severe constipation with very slow bowel movement. Currently, I am taking ayurveda medicine for the fissure. Can vitamin D supplement make constipation worse? Please help me.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

• Vitamin D supplement has to be taken once a week. The most easily available one is capsule Uprise D3 60 k.
  • Now for constipation, I would suggest you the following:
  1. Get a thyroid function test done as hypothyroidism might be the cause behind the constipation that you are having.
  2. Take laxative like Lactulose at night.
  3. Try to increase fiber in diet and take fruits like papayawhich is bulk forming.
  • Another thing that you can take is Isabgol husk. You can take three teaspoons full at night time for your constipation.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Kindly suggest the most effective laxative for my mother's constipation.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 80 years old, has diabetes, high BP and thyroid since last 15 years. She is under control with medicines. She has chronic constipation since last 30 years and uses different laxatives. In the past one year, her constipation has increased and even high doses of laxatives...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic constipation in old age is common. She also has diabetes, which may also contribute to decrease in bowel movements. One should always rule out stool impaction in large bowel in elderly. My advice is ask her to take plenty of water, small frequent meals, low fat ...  Read Full

Can constipation be related to high sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 53-year-old female. I had gestational diabetes and 11 years later my sugar levels were high so started taking Glycomet. However, the fasting sugar level in the morning is always high and PP is less than fasting. Recent HbA1c is 6.9. Do I have to continue medicine? I walk daily ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to iclinq.com. Diabetes is not curable but controllable. The first line in the management of type 2 diabetes is lifestyle modifications. Fasting should not be higher than 110, postprandial should not be higher than 140, and HbA1c should not be higher than 7.5. My advice: Healthy di...  Read Full

Can vitamin D3 deficiency cause pain in different parts of my body?

Query: Hi, I am a 41 year old male weighing 79 kg. I have vitamin D3 deficiency for the past two years and for which I had Vitamin D3 tablets for three months. Since one year I have pain in my arms, fingers and many parts of the body. Please go through my attached test reports and advice some treatme...  Read Full >>

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  After going through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your Vitamin D level is very low, and lipid profile is minimally deranged. I suggest you try taking the following medicines. Consult with your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her ...  Read Full