Q. What are the possible causes of white tongue appearance?

Dr. Ravinder K. Sachdeva

I had an (Insertive) UAI with an HIV-positive person. I was put on PEP at 82 hours. Adhered to PEP, after four months of exposure, I did my fourth-generation HIV duo combo, which came back negative. I am uncircumcised. I have had a white tongue for two months and no other symptoms. Do you recommend retesting at six months? What can be the cause of white tongue? It is not oral thrush or leukoplakia (confirmed by ENT specialists).

#

If your test had been done in an accredited laboratory and there is no further exposure, your test report will be considered conclusive, but if there is any other exposure also, get tested for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and other STIs (sexually transmitted diseases). For white tongue, it could be nutritional deficiency or gastrointestinal causes. Get vitamin D3, B12, and thyroid profile tests.

Thank you for the reply.

I had no further exposure. I have done all my STDs test, and complete blood tests post three months of exposure from multiple accredited NABH laboratories. Attached are reports for reference. All STDs are negative; however, my AST, ALT, and gamma GT are a bit higher in the reports. Kindly confirm from my blood test reports if there is any concern and gamma GT seems to be a lot higher.

Thank you in advance.

#

There is a mild elevation in liver enzymes and GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase) levels. If you have been taking alcohol or any other substance abuse, it is suggested to abstain from the same. Get one ultrasound whole abdomen and revert.

|