Q. What can cause radiating stomach pain?

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 26, 2015 and last reviewed on: Mar 11, 2019

I have been suffering from sudden attack of pain in stomach for the past four years. The pain crosses backside too for a few seconds, at intervals of days, weeks or months. I have consulted many doctors, taken lots of medication, but nothing has worked. All my tests came normal. Kindly help me find some solution to this.

#

According to my knowledge, abdomen pain that radiates to back needs to be evaluated for gall bladder as well as for problems in regard to pancreatitis. If your ultrasound scan performed previously showed the results are normal then I would suggest you get a CT scan of abdomen done.

If your CT scan reports are also normal, then the pain in the abdomen can be a cause of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). I would recommend you to follow the below treatment plan for IBS.

1. To neutralize any acid in the stomach, you have to start taking proton-pump inhibitors such as tablet Pantoprazole and tablet Rabeprazole.
  2. Have soft, bland diet and avoid foods containing fat and pepper.
  3. For stomach pain, you can have tablet Mebeverine. It is a smooth muscle relaxant.
  4. In refractory cases, tablet Chlordiazepoxide and tablet Clidinium bromide can be taken.

|