Q. I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2020

I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleeping in the afternoon, as I am susceptible to the noise around me. I also feel restlessness (mostly in legs) in the middle of the night, decreasing my sleep quality. I am having this problem for the past few months; I want my refreshing sleep back. Please help me out. Thanks for your time, doctor.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

Such disturbed sleep occurs due to stress or anxiety, so in that case, we have to pay attention to that. Another reason can be some infection and sickness or maybe the usage of a mobile screen for long. As you mentioned, you have leg restless.

Can you please tell me,

• Do you have any stress or anxiety?
  • Are you taking any medicine currently?
  • What is your blood pressure?

Please answer so I can help you accordingly.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

I am currently taking Ashwagandha supplements and have been doing meditation, which sometimes helps a lot but is not that consistent helper. Yes, I think I suffer from both stress and anxiety and also have stress headaches sometimes. Most of the problems that I mentioned mostly appear when I do not get refreshed sleep, so I think that is the leading cause. I have also been researching my restlessness problem; it says that it could be due to less dopamine and all; I do not know what I should do about that. I have tried all-natural ways to fix it, but again results are not consistent. It would be a great help if you could recommend some medications for me. And thanks again for the time, doctor.

#

Thank you for writing and I understand your concern.

Your sleep cycle is completely disturbed. And do not worry about dopamine levels because low levels of dopamine do not associate with restlessness. The restlessness can be due to a low level of blood pressure and maybe anemia. I would recommend you do a blood CBC (complete blood count) test once. Then send me the reports. I will check and let you know further since your sleep cycle has been disturbed for months, so it will take time to become normal, maybe weeks. Do not stress yourself much. Ups and downs are always there; deal with it because you are not solving the problem; you are harming your health. So do not worry about anything. Do not use lots of screens. Drink enough fluids throughout the day and eat properly. Let meditation continues. It will help.

You are still young, and changes in behavior can help in this. Starting sleep medication will be the wrong decision because you will get used to it.

Please take,

• Tablet Multivitamin 500 mg once a day after meal for ten days.
  • Tablet Dolo 650 (Acetaminophen or Paracetamol) mg after a meal when you have a headache or leg restlessness.

Please share your anxiety and stress reasons.

So I can clear them up.

| 

My ECG shows irregular beats. Can this be due to stress and lack of sleep?

Query: Hello doctor, I have taken my ECG using a device. I have been getting these irregular beats for about a week. Sometimes I think I have been getting some slight chest pain also but not sure if that is a placebo-like effect or not. My uncle who is a doctor thinks they are ectopic beats in relation to...  Read Full »

My anxiety disorder relapsed after I drank beer. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have anxiety and panic since five years. My GP had given Nexito forte and Veniz XR 37.5. And, I felt better and asked him to reduce the dosage two years ago. He stopped both and gave Nextio plus from then till date. I felt better. I did not smoke or drink while on treatment. 10 days ...  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) - Symptoms, Signs, Causes, and Treatment

Article Overview: GAD patients worry excessively and persistently throughout the course of the day. They are constantly anticipating the worst about family, health, finance, and the future. Learn about the symptoms, signs, causes, and treatment of GAD. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

What Is Generalized Anxiety Disorder? Generalized anxiety disorder is a mental illness where the patient has anxiety not just to particular situations but nearly every activity of the day. They are too obsessed with money, family, work, and relationships. What Is Generalized Anxiety Disorder ICD-1...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Sleep Medicine Physician Now