Q. How can blood in stool be treated?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Dec 15, 2019

I am suffering from dysentery (not sure) from last couple of months. I found blood in my stool. So the doctor suggested to do colonoscopy test. Colonoscopy report says that there is one small papilla near anorectal junction, may be cause of the bleeding. The doctor gave me tablets and till then everything was fine and the same doctor told me that it is because of dysentery. But from the last couple of weeks, there is too much of bleed in my stool with lower abdominal pain and fever every night. Motion is kind of semi-solid and 4 to 5 times in a day I have to go to toilet. I have consulted many doctors but nothing is work out. Can someone please put me in touch with some speciality doctor? I also had treatment of homeopathy for two months without any success. I am totally frustrated.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Frequent motions along with blood for weeks is not due to dysentry. Also a small papilla causing this amount of symptoms is very unlikely. So what else it could be? It can be inflammatory bowel disease, malignancy, chronic infections, tuberculosis. My advise is get stool routine and culture sensitivity test now. Also, please upload all the reports of test that have been done including colonoscopy. Till then you can take tablet Rifagut 1-0-1 for one week, tablet Pause 500 mg three times a day for five days. Kindly revert back with report.

| 

Thank you for your reply. Let me explain you again about my problem. I am 25 years old. Height: 5'10'', Weight: 55 Kg. Normally I go to the loo in the morning after waking up, however complete evacuation never takes place. A little later I need to go loo again. This continues 5 to 6 times day and I never satisfy. I feel fullness in my belly, abdominal pain, indigestion and so much irritation whole day in abdominal .It is totally irregular bowel movement. I remain so damn tense abt it whole day. I am not able to drive and go distances where a loo is not available. I am suffering this from last couple of years. I am non-vegetarian and I stopped eating non-veg and masala food, outside food from last couple of weeks.

Can It be Inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, malignancy, chronic infections, tuberculosis or something else. Please help me out in this. I consulted many doctors. I have done all the test you mentioned.

Dr. Divakara P

#

I went throught the reports, all normal except the small anal papilla (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which I do not think is causing the problem (it may cause bleeding but not bowel irregularities). Three things malignancy, chronic infections and tuberculosis are ruled out. Left with us is inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome and also chronic malabsorption problem. Among these inflammatory bowel disease is a serious diagnosis and should be ruled out first. A normal colonoscopy almost say there is no IBD but I still advise you get one stool calprotectin test done. If that comes normal then it narrows our diagnosis to irritable bowel syndrome or chronic malabsortion problem. There are no tests to prove irritable bowel syndrome. But some tests are there for detecting malabsorption syndrome (like celiac disease or lactose intolerance).

Antiendomysial antibodies of the immunoglobulin A (IgA) type can detect celiac disease and I advise you to get this test also. Also, for a few days stop all the milk and milk products and observe what happens to your bowel movements.

| 

I have done those 2 tests which you have mentioned. Fecal/Stool Calrpotectin test was so much costly. I had abdominal pain on left side to middle abdominal for last two whole days. Today it is fine. I stopped having milk or milk product and feeling little relief, motion is 2-4 times in a day. Still feeling so much heat and irritation in abdominal whole day. I forgot to mentioned that my nose also bleed so little sometimes (once in a 1-2 weeks). I guess that is because of stomach heat. I am in so much stress because of this and my work and some other personal things. I am depressed. Please let me know your view on reports. Is it IBS? Please suggest me some medicines and diet plans.

Dr. Divakara P

#

I went through your report, it is normal. A normal Calprotectin means that there is no physical problem or disease in your gut- Intestine so whatever problems you are having is functional disorder of your gut (hypermotility of your gut), which is very much characteristic of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). There are many proposed theories for the causes if IBS but most importantly IBS is a stress-related disease, it is usually seen in people who are under lot of stress either due to professional or due to personal causes, so the most important thing in the management of IBS is relief of stress by whatever method that helps (Yoga,meditation,psychiatry counseling).

Apart from this, diet plays an important role in the management of IBS, increase the amount of fiber in your diet, that is more of vegetables, more of cereals, legumes, oats. Also, you can use external fiber supplements like Ispagul 10-20 grams per day, avoid high fat diet, avoid carbonated beverages.

You can start some of these medications for a month:

1. Capsule Enterogermina -3 times a day before meals.

2. Capsule Redotril - 2 times day for two weeks before food.

3. Tablet Emeset 4 mg - 2 times day before food.

4. Tablet Normaxine - 2 times a day after food for 3 to 4 days when ever you experience pain abdomen.

Continue avoiding milk and other dairy products. Again I emphasis you on stress management. Get a psychiatric counseling even if you start getting yoga or meditation.

| 

Kindly suggest medicines for piles and blood in stools.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having blood in stools and I have piles. I also have pain in passing the stools. Can you suggest some medicine?  Read Full »

Is there any ayurvedic treatment for blood in stools?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 38 year old male, who weighs 85 kg, and I am 5.11 feet tall. I had a problem with blood in stool a year ago, which got cured after I took medicines. But nowdays, I have been seeing blood in my stool again. I do not have any problem like itching, pain, etc. I feel it very diffic...  Read Full »

Do I need colonoscopy for blood in stool?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old, 247 lb male. I have been having a problem with blood in stool for two years now. Sometimes, I have blood in stool for two or three days and sometimes goes away for months with no blood. For three months, I did not have blood in the stool. Now I started to drive a tr...  Read Full »