Q. What could cause abdominal pain, acid reflux, a burning sensation in the abdomen, and blood in the stool in a person?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar

I have been suffering from severe abdominal pain and acid reflux since yesterday. The pain was more like a burning sensation that radiated throughout the upper and lower abdomen. Also, I had nausea and felt lethargic throughout the day. I consumed a product containing antacid and aloe vera extract, and I felt better. But today morning, I observed bright red blood in my stool, and I am concerned about it.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for your query.

I reviewed your query, and the findings you mentioned can occur in a few conditions, such as peptic ulcers in which there are ulcers in the stomach lining. The other possibility is acute colitis, inflammation of the large intestine.

I want you to answer a few questions mentioned below.

Have you been taking any painkillers?

Did you eat any unhygienic roadside food in the last four weeks?

Did you observe any similar symptoms in the past?

Do you have a fever?

Do you have loose stools at present?

Also, I want you to share the photo of your blood in the stools.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

Thank you for your reply.

Here are my answers to your questions,

1. I have had Paracetamol and Ibuprofen for two days.
  2. I have not eaten any unhygienic food recently, but I am not sure about it.
  3. I never had any symptoms like this in the past.
  4. I did not capture any photo of my stools, but it was bright red in color and the stools were not loose.
  5. The abdominal pain was severe yesterday.
  6. I did have a fever, fatigue, nausea, and acid reflux. However, I did not vomit as I had the antacid, and the pain was not so bad.

Should I make an appointment with a general physician if the pain continues? Also, is it possible to do a home test for stomach ulcers?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for providing the details. It seems to be an acute large intestine infection, so I suggest that you visit a general physician.

I suggest you follow the instructions mentioned below.

1. Take tablet Metronidazole (antibiotic and antispasmodic) 400 mg thrice daily.
  2. Take tablet Ciprofloxacin (antibiotic) 500 mg twice daily.
  3. Tak capsule Omeprazole (antacid) 40 mg daily, half an hour before a meal.
  4. Take tablet Phloroglucinol (antispasmodic) thrice daily, half an hour before meals, for abdominal pain. If this medication is unavailable, you can take tablet Drotaverine (antispasmodic) 40 mg twice to thrice daily, half an hour before meals.
  5. Avoid taking over-the-counter medications.
  6. Also, share the detailed stool report and the CBC (complete blood count) for further investigations.

Kindly consult a specialist, talk to them and take the medications with their consent.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

|