Breast Pump

Will milk production stop if you do not pump breast milk for 15 days?

Query: Hello.. I underwent c section and delivered baby 1 month ago. Baby birth weight 2.5 kg, full term. Had no milk supply for 1 week even by hand expression. So started on bottle feed from day 1. After 1 week after taking lactare tablets I got around 10 ml milk per pumping session from both the breasts...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Yes you can start pumping (else you may get breast fullness and pain). The trick to getting the child off the bottle is to try and put the child onto the breast for at least 10 to 15 minutes before giving top feeds (please do not express immediately prior to breast feeding). That way, the child will...  Read Full »

Please advice on how to improve my breast milk supply.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a mother of 4 months baby boy. I had a normal delivery and after the delivery, I got a very little milk and was not able to feed my baby. After 10 days, I had an issue with my delivery stitches as I had an episiotomy. So resuturing happened and was not at all able to feed my bab...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The best way for you right now is to let the child latch on the breast for atleast 5 to 10 minutes every day. After this latching is done, give the child some top-up milk using a bottle and nipple. If the child wants to latch on for more time, let the child latch. It...  Read Full »

What could be the reason for newborn avoiding breasts while feeding?

Query: Hello doctor, My three months baby is avoiding breast while feeding. Is there any other option to make her drink breast milk without direct feeding?  Read Full »

Dr. Sumeet Sharma

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can express breast milk (either manually or by using a breast pump) and give that milk to the baby using a spoon. But the reason for avoiding breastfeeding needs to be evaluated. Nose block is a common cause for refusal to feed. If the child is having a nose bloc...  Read Full »

How to make my baby to take feed in both the breasts?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 7 weeks old and she is on exclusive breastfeeding. She prefers the right breast than the left and cries to latch on the left. So I started to pump and bottle feed from left and direct feed from the right. I pump three to four times a day and make around 100 ml from the left...  Read Full »

Dr. Farhana Yasmin

Paediatrician, Community Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal for a baby that he or she chooses any one side of the breast on its own. But if you feel that your breast lopsided then you need to take some tricks. Start to feed your baby from the small one. Let him suck more and more from the small one. After some days...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to add sugar to baby formula?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 6 weeks old. I am not able to breastfeed her properly due to pain in the breasts. I have expressed milk, but she is not taking that milk and even the formula milk. She wants direct breastfeed milk, and I tried adding some sugar in the formula milk, and she drank the milk. I als...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is advisable to use a bottle with a nipple for feeding. Also, you can add honey instead of sugar to milk. It will make it sweet. All formula feeds have more or less the same taste, so there is no use changing formulas. Please give your expressed milk with bottle feed...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to exclusively pump breast milk?

Query: Hello doctor, Why more mothers are choosing to exclusively pump their breast milk? How does it work for them? Kindly explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Mostly breast pumps are used by mothers who need to prepare for the child in advance due to their business. Most of the working ladies are using breast pumps to empty the breast in advance and to have milk as per need. Breast pump helps to maintain breast production by ...  Read Full »

How to breastfeed a baby?

Query: Hi doctor, Our baby is 1 month old. My wife is facing problem in breastfeeding as the baby is not taking the feed properly. This is our first baby and my wife is using a breast pump to take off her milk and giving it in a bottle. I want to know whether the use of a breast pump for a long time cau...  Read Full »

Dr. Aamir Mohd

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, tell your wife to at least try to breastfeed for 15 minutes. Yes, it is difficult to feed first baby, but with experience it will become easy. Tell her to put the nipple completely in his mouth by making a V-shape in her hand. No, breast pump will not cau...  Read Full »

Can one use breast pump simultaneously with breastfeed?

Query: Hi doctor,Can one pump and breastfeed simultaneously? Why or why not? Please provide the explanation or suggestion on how this can be done. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In case you have nipple problem in one or both the breast, there is no harm in using the breast pump. Even if the mother has an excess of breast milk which is causing discomfort, then breast pump plays an important role. If the mother feels like storing the milk b...  Read Full »