Q. Does Entocort intake cause severe anemia?

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

I am a 62-year-old female. I was diagnosed with collagenous colitis following colonoscopy biopsies. I started on Entocort, three days later I have severe swelling in feet and ankles. I am fatigued the next day. On the seventh day, I had swelling of lips and a strange feeling in the throat. I called the doctor and he stopped the medication.

My blood report shows:

Hemoglobin - 3.6 g/dL,

RBC - 1.38 million/mm3,

Iron - 11,

Saturation - 3.

Fecal stool sample postive.

I went to the ER, I was given two units of blood. My hemoglobin raised to 7.5 the next day. I was discharged. Endoscopy was performed and my biopsy report is negative. I had minor stomach inflammation. My next bloodwork shows

Hemoglobin - 8.1 g/dL,

RBC - 3.05 million/mm3,

Iron - 51,

Saturation 12.

Vitamin B12 - 648.

Immunoglobulins A and G are pretty low. Gastroenterologist says need to do small cap endoscopy to see if there is bleeding in the small intestine. My new stool sample results are not back yet, but stools have not been dark. What other tests need to be done to determine the cause of anemia? List the possible that medication caused anemia since I had such a severe reaction.

Current medications:

No prescription, only supplements. Vitamin D3, CoQ 10, Methyl B12, and Curcumin.

#

Entocort (Budesonide) is a corticosteroid. It is very unlikely to cause anemia, especially to the extent that you had.

What was your hemoglobin prior to the colonoscopy? If it was near normal and then dropped to 3.6, that would be a huge drop. If you had gastrointestinal bleeding leading to such a huge drop in hemoglobin in a short span of time, I would expect that you would have noticed the blood in your stool. Minor bleeding over longer periods can lead to anemia, and in those cases, serum ferritin (a storage form of iron) would be low. Acute blood loss anemia usually does not cause serum ferritin to drop.

Did you have a serum ferritin level done along with your other iron studies? If the serum ferritin is less than 15, it is almost definitely iron deficiency. Iron deficiency is either due to dietary reasons or blood loss. Dietary iron deficiency is rare in developed countries. So, blood loss has to be ruled out. If no obvious reason is identified on upper GI endoscopy or colonoscopy, then small bowel pathology has to be ruled out by capsule endoscopy. Other reasons for a rapid drop in hemoglobin would be hemolysis (where the red blood cells are destroyed for various reasons). This would be diagnosed by tests like:

1. Peripheral blood smear

2. Serum haptoglobin

3. Direct and indirect bilirubin

4. Direct Coomb's test

5. LDH (lactic acid dehydrogenase).

Please attach any reports you have with you. That may help me give you a better answer.

| 

How to cure my father's severe cold and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 66 years old. He is having severe cough and cold for more than a month. He took Clavam 625 mg for five days. Along with that, he also took Foracort 200 mcg inhaler twice a day and Nasonex inhaler twice a day, but there was no relief. Then, our chest specialist suggested Neb...  Read Full »

My CT abdomen is suggestive of colitis. Would you explain the symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 54 year old male. My weight is 84 kg, and weight is 175 cm. I have done a CT scan before three months, and it showed mild thickening of the sigmoid colon suggestive colitis. I do not have any symptoms of colitis, diarrhea or blood in the stool. I have done stool occult blood test...  Read Full »

Iron-Deficiency Anemia - Its Causes, Diagnosis, and Treatment

Article Overview: Iron-deficiency anemia is a global burden over the communities, and it is prevalent everywhere. This article discusses the clinical features, causes, diagnosis, and treatment of iron-deficiency anemia. Read Article

Hematologist

Clinical Features: Most of the patients will present with fatigue, tiredness, and dizziness. If anemia is severe, then breathlessness (dyspnea) is also present. Patient's working capacity is restricted, and palpitation can be present. If iron-deficiency anemia is present from early life (from six...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Hematologist Now