Q. What is the hard thing I feel under the skin of my penis?

Answered by
Dr. Gajanan Bhat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 18, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 20, 2019

Hello doctor,

I am a 33-year-old male. For the past 10 days, I find something hard at two places under the skin of my penis. It is very tiny and does not move with moving the skin. There is no visible lump or growth or eruption on the surface of the skin at all. It feels something fixed or stationary under the skin and the size of not more than a small pimple. I remember the same having happened at the same place six months back, which had gone with time. This time it has occurred in the same area and had spread to the nearby areas also. What is it? Kindly advice.

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

General Surgery Urology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The lesions you are referring to are glands containing sebum, which are present sparsely over the penile skin. As and when the openings of the ducts are blocked, they feel hard but resolve on their own. You need not worry anything about them as they are benign and self-limiting. However, if you get pain, please get back to me as I need to suggest some investigations in case of pain. Otherwise, you need not worry. Please get back to me if you need more clarification.

Thank you doctor,

For your prompt response. I am concerned because it has already been 10 days and yet the tiny hard bump under the skin of the penis is not going. There is no pain or any sensation. It is not moving when I am pulling up or down the penile skin. I also learned from a website that this could be a healed thrombosed vein. I do not know what it is, but since it is not going for 10 days, now I am worried and asked you the question. Kindly explain to me a little more so that it helps me get rid of the anxiety.

Dr. Gajanan Bhat

General Surgery Urology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

The skin of the penis is devoid of any accessory structures such as hair follicle, sweat glands, etc., as it needs to be stretchable, which can damage these structures during stretching due to an erection. However, few sparsely distributed sebum glands do exist, which gives the skin the basic texture that is required.

As the skin of the penis undergoes stretch and relaxation more than any other superficial body parts, there is going to be more stress on the subcutaneous structures such as glands as well as veins. None of these cause any significant discomfort, and they heal on their own. In your case, it could be blocked gland or thrombosed vein, both of which take up to four to six weeks to resolve entirely as the natural process takes that long. As the condition is benign and self-limiting, you need not worry at all. I hope I am clear.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What are the small flat bumps on penis?

Query: Hello doctor, There are small flat bumps on penis. Is it herpes? I had rather rough sex with a partner a week before noticing these. I have been tested before and it has been negative and I have never had this before.  Read Full »

What is the treatment for red spots and skin cracks on the penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I saw red spots, and skin crack on my penis head. Sometimes, it become painful. Urine open area is also painful and open like a lip.  Read Full »

After PPP removal, I have some scaly marks on my penis. Which cream should I try?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male. Seven months ago, I had PPP removal from my penis head with CO2 laser treatment. For the last three months, I observed some redness in my penis head. I think it is because of irritation due to masturbation. Since I removed PPP, my penis is a lot drier. My dermat...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.