Q. After I stopped smoking, my throat is quite sore. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2020

I am an 18-year old male and recently I had stopped smoking and now my throat is sore. Is it something serious? I have been smoking for four months.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

With the conversation, I understand you are an 18-year-old male who started smoking four months back and now quit it recently. However, you are suffering from throat pain now.

My assessment is that the sore throat is just a throat infection. It has got nothing to do with any cancer if that is what you are worrying about. The throat pain may have got aggravated by the smoke and the agents in it. Kindly follow these suggestions.

1. Hot salt water gargles daily thrice.

2. Steam inhalation.

3. Take plenty of hot fluids like soup, rice water, etc.

4. Take all the foods hot and warm.

5. Avoid cold drinks, alcohol, cold foods, outside foods or drinks.

7. Do not smoke again.

If after the precautions told above still you have no improvement kindly consult an ENT surgeon who will look into your throat and check if there is anything wrong. He will arrive at a decisive diagnosis and institute the right treatment that will help you get rid of the problem.

A note on smoking:

Now that you have quit it kindly hold on to it. It is easy to get back to smoking due to peer pressure and friends. However, once you become addict to it there is no going back. Also, it takes a few years for the damage to the lungs and throat to become severe enough to cause cancer. However, only if you have a strong will power will you be able to quit it completely once you restart your habit.

| 

Why are WBC and neutrophils chronically high even if no infection is present?

Query: Hello doctor,Chronically high WBC 15 and neutrophils above 10 recent CRP 8.8. No infection can be found but was treated with two rounds of antibiotics Amoxicillin and Clarithromycin. Repeated CBC and numbers were higher. My doctor said maybe this was going to be my normal. Is this possible? Since th...  Read Full »

I have sore throat from two years. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a bad case of sore throat. It has been two years since I have a sore throat. I regularly gargle with hot water or diluted Betadine gargles (Povidone-iodine solution ), but there is no effect. Rather, it has gotten worse.  Read Full »

I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now