Common "Smoking Cessation" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Smoking Cessation

Smoking cessation, otherwise called quitting smoking, is when a person discontinues smoking tobacco. Tobacco contains an addictive substance called nicotine, which makes quitting smoking a challenge. Medications like Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) and antidepressants are used to help a person quit smoking.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I am having difficulty taking deep breaths. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old female. I weigh 55 kg, and my height is 168 cm. I have been having difficulty taking a deep breath for over a year now. I got it suddenly one day while riding my bike. It feels like my breath is not completed or like I am missing some air. Some days it does not occu...  Read Full »

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I am thinking it might be coming from your lungs, or it could be anemia. Have you been a smoker? Do you have a history of childhood asthma? Have you had any breathing test or blood work done recently? Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician onli...  Read Full »

I want to overcome my smoking habit. Please assist.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 45-year-old woman who has been smoking since my teens. I got the COPD diagnosis, and I am on a mission to kick the smoking habit, as my doctor suggested. I am wondering how much of a game-changer the whole smoking cessation journey is. Any tips on how to make it less bumpy? Also...  Read Full »

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hello, I appreciate that you have chosen for your medical needs. I am here to give you the best care possible. Where there is a will, there is a way. Do not be anxious; ally with the journey, and it will be smooth. Everything will keep falling into place as you go. Keep yourself busy ...  Read Full »

Are e-cigarettes safe enough to replace cigarette smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am really worried about my husband's health because he has been smoking cigarettes for the past 15 years. I have heard that electronic cigarettes are not that harmful, especially the way they deliver nicotine, and their potential benefits for quitting smoking. Is it true? Would you ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. I can provide general information on electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) based on available research. However, it is essential to consult a healthcare professional for personalized advice. E-cigarettes operate by vaporizing a liquid, known...  Read Full »

Does alcohol smell from a diabetic a sign of ketosis?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is a type-2 diabetic. He takes Metformin, Januvia, and Zoloft. He smokes marijuana and cigarettes. He has been on the strongest nicotine patch for the past week, but still smoking occasionally. Twice in the past week, he smelled strongly of beer or alcohol and I thought he h...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that your husband has diabetes and he is trying to quit smoking. I would like to answer each one of your questions one by one: Yes, withdrawal from cigarettes can cause the person to be highly irrit...  Read Full »

Can smoking cause clubbed nails?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old male, who weighs 195 lbs and I am 5.10 feet tall. All of my fingers are clubbed. My nails have become wide and thick giving them an abnormal round appearance. The skin above my cuticles is slightly raised and red. My nails do not extend straight out, but they curve d...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your nails and fingers, and it is in fact clubbing. The cause is smoking-induced lung damage and bronchiectasis. Regarding the reversibility, we cannot be sure at this moment, as it wi...  Read Full »

I have a history of smoking. Can I get leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old and I am a former smoker. I smoked half a pack a day from the age of 19 to 26 years (3.5 pack years). I stopped smoking three years ago. I also had three CT scans in my life that totaled just a little over 9 mSv. for some reason. I have attached the CT scan reports. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen your CT scans (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As of now, you are not having any symptoms and CT (computed tomography) scans reveal no mass as well. So you are not having cancer as per the history. The risk cannot be predicted when the ...  Read Full »

I have pain in the right lungs with yellow phlegm. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old male, and I weigh 140 lbs, and I am 5.7 feet tall. About three weeks ago, I went to the doctor for a fever, chills, and a headache. I was told that it was a minor case of flu. I developed blood in my mucus soon after, but I did not go to the doctor, as it went away aft...  Read Full »

Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It is a repeat lower respiratory tract infection, which is leading to both yellow phlegm and chest pain due to inflammation of pleura called as pleuritis.Chances of cancer are very less, provided your young age. Still, you should get one a chest x-ray done.I suggest yo...  Read Full »

Why is my father's vitamin B12 level high?

Query: Hello doctor, My father is 66 years old. He is alcoholic and smoker. We went to deaddiction center and the internal medicine doctor referred some test. Liver ultrasound, B12, 24 hours urine, foot doppler test, lipid profile, liver fitness test. Reports came and I want to confirm with you. In the pas...  Read Full »

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri

Answer: Hello, Welcome to There are two main abnormal findings (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your B12 level slight high and postprandial glucose are high. For high B12 check your full CBC with peripheral smear examination. Sometimes, Vitamin B12 supplement can lead to its ...  Read Full »

I want to quit smoking using nicotine-based products. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 45-year-old male. I have been a long-term smoker and have decided to quit this habit for the betterment of my health. I am writing to seek guidance on strategies for smoking cessation using nicotine-based products. I would like to know the different forms of nicotine-based produc...  Read Full »

Dr. Tonina Sleiman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understood your concern. Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) offers various options such as patches, gum, lozenges, inhalers, and mouth sprays to provide nicotine and alleviate cravings during the smoking cessation process. Patches deliver a ste...  Read Full »

How could nicotine replacement therapy help me quit smoking?

Query: Hello doctor,I am thinking about quitting smoking and have heard about the impact nicotine has in the process. Can you give information about the usage of nicotine replacement therapy or alternative strategies for quitting smoking? Are there any particular strategies or products that use regulated n...  Read Full »

Dr. Chibitam Hope Obia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Nicotine replacement treatment provides nicotine in the form of inhalers, lozenges, gum patches, and sprays made from compounds that are less harmful to the body than tobacco found in cigarettes. So nicotine replacement treatment helps to alleviate withdrawal symptoms ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.