Smoking Cessation

Is leukoplakia curable?

Query: Hello doctor, My father went to a dentist as he had white patches in his gums and mouth. The dentist told that it is an oral leukoplakia. He asked him to stop smoking immediately. It is a serious condition which can turn into cancer. He advised stopping smoking for three months. After that, he ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Leukoplakia is a premalignant lesion. This means that it is not cancer yet and can be reversed. And hence there is no need to worry about staging. If your father stops smoking, it should regress with time. And later if required, some medication can be given to further ...  Read Full »

Can smoking cause clubbed nails?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old male, who weighs 195 lbs and I am 5.10 feet tall. All of my fingers are clubbed. My nails have become wide and thick giving them an abnormal round appearance. The skin above my cuticles is slightly raised and red. My nails do not extend straight out, but they curve d...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity) of your nails and fingers, and it is in fact clubbing. The cause is smoking-induced lung damage and bronchiectasis. Regarding the reversibility, we cannot be sure at this moment, as it will depend ...  Read Full »

Can a dentist tell if you smoke from looking inside the mouth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am going to remove my impacted wisdom tooth in two days. I am a frequent smoker. Can a dentist tell if I smoke or not by just seeing inside my mouth? If yes, how can I prevent the dentist from knowing that I am a smoker? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Nisha Ashokkumar Agrawal

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query. Do not smoke before the dentist appointment. First of all, I would like to tell you that smoking before tooth extraction is problematic for you. If you smoke before extraction, anesthesia will not be effective. And you will experience too much of pai...  Read Full »

Does dry socket result from smoking 24 hours after tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my lower back tooth pulled out three days back. It took a lot of effort to pull it out, as it was not loose. I have a little pain in that area and in my jaw, and I am terrified that I have or I am getting a dry socket. I am a smoker, and I waited for 24 hours before I smoked afte...  Read Full »

Dr. Purva Jingar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems like a dry socket, but wait for a week, for it to heal. Also, if the pain exceeds more than seven days, then visit a dentist and get an x-ray done. Until then, follow the prescribed medications and quit smoking, as it is not a good habit. Drink lots of water,...  Read Full »

Does alcohol smell from a diabetic a sign of ketosis?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is a type-2 diabetic. He takes Metformin, Januvia, and Zoloft. He smokes marijuana and cigarettes. He has been on the strongest nicotine patch for the past week, but still smoking occasionally. Twice in the past week, he smelled strongly of beer or alcohol and I thought he h...  Read Full »

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned, it appears that your husband has diabetes and he is trying to quit smoking. I would like to answer each one of your questions one by one: Yes, withdrawal from cigarettes can cause the person to be highly irritabl...  Read Full »

Can you smoke after getting a root canal?

Query: Hello doctor, Early today, I was at the dentist's because of a sharp pulsating pain in my tooth. The doctor opened the tooth, cleared the root canal with those little needles, and he left the tooth open and put some medicine in and a piece of cotton. The dentist told me to come back in a week or...  Read Full »

Dr. Purva Jingar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, you had the procedure of root canal therapy. So, smoking is bad in this case because this may decay your tooth and you might need to extract the tooth. I suggest you avoid smoking now and in the future. Dry socket is something that happens when the tooth is remov...  Read Full »

Please suggest the best option to quit smoking.

Query: Hi doctor, Among Nicotine gum, Bupron and Varenicline, which is better for quit smoking? Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

General Practitioner, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Sexologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. All three have different indications. Still Varenicline is best to control smoking. They are known to reduce craving. Bupropion is preferred, if associated depressive symptoms present. Nicotine gum or patch preferred, if person is not able to control desire by above th...  Read Full »

Will Nicotex chewing gum help me quit smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male and a regular smoker. I do smoke 10-15 cigarettes a day and have been smoking like this for almost 10 years now. When I started, I used different brands, from ultra mild to regular bidis. But now, for almost 3 years I am stuck with regular gold flake.Now, I am ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have been a chronic smoker since last 10 years smoking 10-15 cigarettes per day, the body is presently addicted to nicotine and hence if you intend to leave it for a day, the nicotine withdrawal sets in. This may include: Headache. Nausea. Constipation or...  Read Full »

Can smoking cessation cause strained bowel movements?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 39 years. I have quit smoking, cold turkey after smoking for almost 18 years. It is my 29th day of being smoke-free. Everything was going fine until last 7 to 10 days my bowel movement has been strainful. Few days I have seen very small sized hard stools and sometimes small ...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post, it is normal to have hard stools after quitting smoking for that you have to add a salad, do exercise, and take enough water. It is a temporary phenomenon which usually settles in three months till intestines adapt nicotine free blood. You h...  Read Full »

After quitting smoking, will blood viscosity reverse back to normal?

Query: Hello doctor, It has been seven days since I have smoked a cigarette (quit cold turkey). How long will it take after quitting smoking, for the blood to be free from nicotine? Is blood viscosity reversible by simply cutting down nicotine?  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking at the query, my opinion is as follows: The effect of nicotine is dependent upon the amount and years of cigarettes smoked and can vary from two days to two months. On an average, usually within a month of withdrawal of nicotine, the blood viscosity starts redu...  Read Full »