Q. I have clogged ears with pain from ear to throat with vertigo. Is it due to nasal drip or herpes infection?

Answered by
Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have clogged ears and pain from ears to the throat, vertigo, and always feeling confused. I had a sinus nasal drip which I thought that is why my ears where clogged it has been six weeks and it is still clogged, popping and painful. I saw an ENT and he said I had no fluid and there be any underline issues causing my ears to stay with pressure and fullness like HSV-1 and HSV-2 can cause me to lose my hearing. I am 40 years old and never experienced this before. My doctor prescribed me antibiotics and they are not working. I already took Acyclovir and he prescribed it again. I just need to know if herpes causes hearing loss?

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from clogged earaches with painful jaw joints and sore throat with vertigo and all these sufferings may result from herpes infection according to your assumption.

When herpes affects the nerve in the face that spreads to ear known as Herpes zoster oticus its clinical features are severe earaches, swelling of vestibular nerve, fluid-filled vesicles on outside of ear and inside ear canal, permanent or temporary paralysis of the face with hearing loss.

Again herpes esophagitis can attack the mouth. Sores may develop in the mouth and make swelling difficult due to inflammation of the throat. This pain can radiate to mouth and jaws.

Sudden hearing loss can result commonly from viral infections other than herpes are measles, mumps, rubella, viral meningitis, syphilis, AIDS, etc., which can cause sudden loss of hearing. Again bacterial meningitis, Lyme, any tumors in the ear can also be hearing loss.

Any type of hearing loss, steroid should be applied immediately. It helps in reducing the inflammation and decrease the swelling and increasing hearing ability. So along with your current medications, you should use steroids immediately to prevent further hearing loss.

In case of any other query knock me and I will try to help u further.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is diarrhea in a baby due to viral infection?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 1 year and 10 months old. Two weeks ago, she had severe diarrhea and around her thighs and around her genitals, there was inflammation. The doctor says that because diarrhea is a type of virus and inflammation of the fungus. The doctor prescribed Clotrimazole and burns ointmen...  Read Full »

I have ear pain when I open my mouth. What might help?

Query: Hello doctor, I am not fat, but my body gets really warm sometimes especially when I sleep, which makes me uncomfortable. So, what might be the reason?Secondly, I get pain near my left ear when I open my mouth. Three weeks ago, the pain went after four days (it started and ended when I woke up afte...  Read Full »

My daughter is diagnosed with middle ear infection. How to clear it up?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 17 years old. She had a cold for about four days when she started complaining of bad ear pain. She was seen in urgent care a week ago and was diagnosed with a middle ear infection. The APRN noted her ear was pretty angry and prescribed Amoxicillin 500 mg. She is suppo...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.