HomeAnswersPsychiatrydepressionI lost a special person, and it is affecting my mental health. Please help.

How to cope with mood swings due to the loss of loved ones?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 28, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 24, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

Three months ago I lost a very special person, and until this day I miss them so much that it is affecting my mental health. Sometimes I hate them, sometimes I love them, and it is like I have mood swings. Please help.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your query and can understand your concern.

Thank you for taking help from a psychiatrist. I can understand your situation and it is tough to deal with this type of phase in life. I am sorry about your special person. You may have pathological grief. There is non-pharmacological management for it, and you should try to follow the below guidelines to deal with it. It will help you.

1. You should exercise daily for 30 to 45 minutes, like at least going for a walk.

2. You should do meditation for 20 minutes daily. Just sit in one place in a comfortable position and try to concentrate on your normal breathing. Do not stop or force yourself to stop your thoughts, just let them be. It will calm you.

3. You should eat healthy home-cooked foods, and avoid junk foods.

4. You must drink enough water.

5. You should spend quality time with friends and family daily, or do video calls if you are living away from your family.

6. You should spend time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, and learning new skills, language, or musical instruments.

7. You should have 7 to 8 hours of sleep daily.

8. You must avoid tobacco, alcohol, or any substance abuse.

9. Do not stay alone. Keep yourself busy and active.

I hope that you get your answer. Please, let me know if you want some help.

Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy