Q. What can be the reason for my erection problem?

Dr. Bharat Udey
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 26, 2020

I have experienced a problem in erection since last three months. I am a smoker. The testosterone level in my last routine medical checkup was 134. Please help.

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrics Psychiatry Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

• I can understand your problem very well. But, before providing any adequate solution to your problem, it is necessary to understand your problem with specific details.
  • Please provide the following information first. What is your age, marital status, frequency of sexual contact? When was your last coitus?
  • Since when are you experiencing the erection problem? Is there a complete lack of erection or difficulty in sustaining it for long or the erection is partial?
  • Are you able to achieve early morning erections after getting up from sleep?
  • Did you get any recent injury to the genitals? Is there any history of recent febrile illness with associated pain in the testicles or swelling around the region? Any recent unprotected coitus or burning micturition or painful micturition?
  • Since how long you are smoking, at what frequency per day and any other substance abuse?
  • Why you get the testosterone level assessed? Any treatment taken prior to this issue? If yes, then what kind of treatment?
  • Provide above details so that a proper consultation can be provided to you.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

I am 35 years old and married. My sexual frequency is around three times a week. I am experiencing this since last three to four months. My last coitus was about two months ago. I am able to achieve erection and not able to sustain it for long. In the mornings I am able to attain it, but not every day and it is partial. I did not get any injury to the genitals. There is no illness, but got treated for E.coli with antibiotics around a year back and my sperm count also reduced due to it. I did not have any unprotected coitus recently. I smoke around 10 cigarettes per day since last 12 years. I checked my sperm count as we were trying to have a baby and it was treated.

Dr. Bharat Udey

#

• It seems that you are experiencing more of a functional type of erectile dysfunction.
  • What actually happens is when a person experiences stress related to his sexual performance, it results in performance anxiety as a result of which the sexual performance further decreases and this further increases the stress. So, it results in a vicious circle that goes on and on.
  • To get rid of it, you need to relieve this stress first. It can be done by means of medications along with relaxation exercises.
  • Along with this dietary modifications such as increased consumption of fibers, aphrodisiac agents such as onions, garlic, ginger and Ginseng.
  • Reduce smoking, as it causes reduced vascularity in genitals hence reducing the rigidity.
  • Besides this proper sexual techniques are also must improve sexual functioning.

For further information consult a sexologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

Can you suggest some medications to improve it?

Dr. Bharat Udey

#

• I suggest you Bupropion (Bupron XL) 150 mg in the morning. If you have any CNS issues like seizure, then it should be avoided.
  • Along with this I suggest Clonazepam (Lonazep) 0.25 mg at bedtime and Ginkgo Biloba extracts.
  • For relaxation exercises, deep breathing, JPMR (Jacobson's progressive muscle relaxation) and reverse counting has to be done.
  • Go for regular workout as well. The above medications need to be taken for at least one month to see the results. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further doubts consult a sexologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

How does Nicotex chewing gum help quit smoking?

Query: Hello doctor, How does Nicotex chewing gum help in quitting smoking?  Read Full »

Can stress inhibit brain development in children?

Query: Hi doctor, I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?  Read Full »

Mirap and Clonazepam prescribed for anxiety and depression, Is it fine to take?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am suffering from anxiety and depression. My doctor prescribed 15mg of Mirap at night and 0.50mg of Clonazepam twice daily. And Clonazepam has to be halved after every 10 days. Is it fine? Need a second opinion.  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now