Q. What does my endoscopic biopsy suggest?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja
Published on Aug 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am working as a software professional. Recently, I had discomfort in digestion, severe bloating, gas formation and a frequent sensation of motions. I went to a gastroenterologist and he made an endoscopy and an endoscopic biopsy. The biopsy report is as below. Nature of specimen: Received single grayish white mucosal tissue bit measuring 0.3 cm. The entire tissue was processed. Macroscopic examination: Section shows single small gastric mucosal bit with superficial erosion of surface epithelium in the focal area. Foveolae and glands are unremarkable. Lamina propria shows moderately dense, diffuse infiltrate of lymphocytes, a few plasma cells and a rare polymorph. Lymphoid follicle formation is seen in one focus. Scant muscularis mucosae included shows no significant pathology. No definite H.pylori, intestinal metaplasia, glandular atrophy or dysplasia or malignancy noted in the section studied. Microscopic examination : Moderately dense, diffuse chronic inflammation in stomach (endoscopic) biopsy. I had antral gastritis a year back and took medication for some time. I am always eating outside food, but nothing spicy. I am currently taking Razo-D in the morning and Razo 20 at night.

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Medical Oncology Paediatric Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology Surgical Oncology
#

• Razo-D, Rabeprazole is a good medicine, but you need to take it twice a day before breakfast and dinner.
  • I also suggest Sucrase-O 2 teaspoons four times a day and a good probiotic twice a day for 10 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Avoid spicy, fried, fermented and junk food. Also, avoid smoking and alcohol, if you have the habit.
  • Try to manage your stress levels.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

What causes this condition? Is it something cancerous? Is it a chronic condition? Is stress solely responsible for this? Can gluten allergy cause this? What kind of foods and timings has to be followed? How frequently do I have to consult a doctor for this condition? Kindly answer these questions.

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

#

• There are many number of causes ranging from diet, stress and infection to heredity causing these issues.
  • At this stage it is not cancerous. It is usually acute and goes chronic.
  • Stress is a precipitating factor and not the sole cause.
  • Gluten is known to cause bloating and indigestion, which can aggravate gastric symptoms.
  • I have already advised the type of food to be avoided, but small, frequent meals with dinner at 8 PM is advisable if you sleep around 11 PM.
  • In the acute phase, you should visit your doctor every two to three weeks and once your symptoms subside, then maybe every once in 6 to 12 months.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

Natural Sources and Health Benefits of Probiotics

Article Overview: This article explains about probiotics, their health benefits, and natural sources of probiotics. Read Article

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Probiotics are naturally occurring bacteria in our gut. The word 'Probiotic' is derived from a Latin word 'Pro’ meaning ‘Promoting’ and the Greek word 'Biotic' which means 'Life.' Probiotics are live microorganisms in the gut that have several health benefits. Many kinds of ba...  Read Article

For how long can probiotics be taken in abdominal problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from health problems for the last 10 years, mainly abdominal problem (excessive gas) and mood swings. Actually, I had taken two terms of nine months Rifampicin. After that, the digestion problem and mood swings continued. A lot of tests were done in different big hospit...  Read Full »

I have pain in middle of upper abdomen. What to do to help the pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having gradual pain in the middle of my upper abdomen right below the breasts and pain on the side of my abdomen that radiates to my back. This is accompanied by my stomach feeling tight. Sometimes worse after food sometimes worse on empty stomach. Sometimes wakes me up at night....  Read Full »