Q. I get headache and dizziness for the past 5 days. Could this be migraine?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020

I have a headache/migraine for almost five days now and I am feeling dizzy from time to time. I am taking Paracetamol and Mefenamic acid for toothache. I am a 22-year-old, female. My height is 5'5" and weigh around 80 kg.

#

Since you have mentioned migraine, does it come in episodes? How severe is it? Is it limited to a specific region? Is it associated with nausea? Is there any intolerance of light? Is there any neck pain? Do you have a fever? Is there any blurring of vision? How is your balance?

It occurs every evening though it is quite tolerable, and I sometimes feel dizzy but no nausea. Sometimes my hands are shaking which also bothers me. My neck actually hurts but not much. I have no fever. My vision is good and also balance.

#

Were you in any kind of emotional stress? With everything going around, most of us these days have been doing things like watching movies and stuff. Did you do anything like that? Do you have adequate sleep? Is it worsened by tea or coffee or relieved by it? Does it have any relation with foods like worsened by dairy products or sour things?

I would suggest you try having adequate sleep not staying awake late night. Avoid coffee, chocolates and dairy products as they tend to worsen migraine. Then avoid watching tv screens for a long time. Try to exercise daily. Drink plenty of fluids. You may take Vasograin tablet if you have severe headaches. You can also start with Flunarizine 5 mg daily once for 10 to 15 days for now.

It might be stress. Since I had migraine, I am not able to sleep properly, maximum hours of sleep is three hours and the thing is I actually work at night. Another thing is since I started working at night, I experienced hair loss (circular bald spots), do you think it is connected to my migraine?

#

It might be the sleep deprivation causing your headache. Well, then manage to have some proper rest. And try avoiding stress as much as possible. Take the medicine properly.

Circular bald spots are less likely to be due to this condition. It could be due to fungal infection. You might need a dermatologist opinion for the same.

Question. Can i take the flunarizine at morning so i can still attend to work every evening?
#

Yes you may take it in the mornings if you work during night. However it is not that sedating, you may even take it at night

So i've been taking the medicine for 5 days now and so far headache is gone but i am still not able to get a proper sleep still ranges 3-5 hours max sleep. I somehow feel drowsy but when i try to sleep, not able to. It's bothering me.
#

Hello welcome back I know given your time schedule it is very difficult to get fruitful sleep. Since you are working against body clock it is difficult for the body to adjust and develop a proper schedule. I would suggest that while trying to sleep tou should try simulating the night conditions as much as possible. Avoid any distractions. Switch off your phones. Avoid music at the time of sleeping. Remove any distractions around. Avoid bright lights. You have to train your body to adjust to new routine. Avoid beverages before going to bed. Go to bed same time everyday. Avoid watching movies or stuff before going to bed. Rather healthy practice is to read a book for an hour or half an hour before going to bed. Medications are better avoided because they can cause hangover and dependence. Avoid naps during the time you are not sleeping . Try exercising daily. Try relaxation rituals or maneouvres like yoga deep breathing etc. Don't over stress yourself.

Hi doc! so far i did get proper sleep. But thing happened when i wake up a while ago i suddenly feel nauseated and my body is shaking. I even forced myself to vommit with the thought it might relieved my nausea but only water comes out. still feel nauseated, and i might not be able to work later if not relieved.
#

Hello welcome to iCliniq Do you have any headache Or just this nauseating feeling? Did you have anything for lunch? Is there any stomach upset? You can take Ondem 4 MD tablet or DOM DT 10mg tablet to get relief from this nausea.

No headache. Just feeling dizzy and urge to vomit, i ate something for lunch. and the feels like i had lbm, even the left side of my throat start aching. can i take that tablets with the flunarizine?
# Yes you can. Nausea , vomiting can accompany an episode of migraine or can be otherwise also present in the intervening periods. These tablets are dispersible tablets . You have to keep them under tongue and not swallow them. They will dissolve in mouth.

Hi doctor, how long will take to cure?

#

It has been almost a month and I do understand your concern. Migraines do take time to go. At times you may need prophylaxis for 2 to 3 months. So you can continue flunarizine once a day. For any severe headaches the other tablet like migran or Vasograin can be taken more than 1 tablet. You also need to avoid precipitating factors like bright lights, long sitting periods in front of TV or computer screens, certain foods or beverages like coffee, chocolates and cheese or other dairy products which can precipitate acute attacks.

Thank you doc. Thank you so much.

#

You are welcome.

I will consult with you in future. Thanks.

#

Sure. Welcome

Please talking with you.

# Alright

|