Q. My Hb is 8 to 9 with normal MCV and spleen enlargement. Please advice.

Published on Jun 20, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2019

My Hb is 8 to 9 always, and MCV is on the normal range, on CBC. I have enlarged spleen (moderate to severe) since childhood and chronic since then. I have a history of blood transfusions but had transfused only 6 to 7 times. My brother has the same problem with the same symptoms also. He is 31, and I am 34 years old. My mother is anemic with Hb 7.5 to 9.0 always, with normal MCV on CBC. She is 51 years old. Father has normal HB 14 always.

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

You have to rule out iron deficiency anemia and hemolytic anemia in your case. You need to investigate further as follow.

1. serum iron estimation
  2. serum ferritin estimation
  3. serum TIBC estimation
  4. Reticulocyte count
  5. Peripheral smear examination report
  6. HB electrophoresis

You can revert with reports once done.If you have hemolytic anemia than hemoglobin level usually remains in the borderline range.If your above reports suggest towards iron deficiency anemia than iron tablet will recover your anemia completely. So revert with reports once done. Meanwhile, you can be prescribed ferrous ascorbate tablet for your anemia.I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

| 

High Hemoglobin Levels: Is It Dangerous?

Article Overview: High hemoglobin levels or polycythemia can be due to smoking, dehydration, or heart problems. This article describes the types and treatment options for polycythemia. Read Article

Dr. Kks
Hematologist

When Is the Hemoglobin Level Considered to Be High? According to the conventional definition, it is considered as high hemoglobin when levels are more than 18.5 g/dL for men and 16.5 g/dL for women. High hemoglobin levels are associated with high hematocrit (also called as PCV) levels which are def...  Read Article

Hemoglobin, RBC, and WBC are going down rapidly. What can be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband's hemoglobin is 3.7 g/dL, but the hemoglobin level was 5 g/dL when we checked it two days back. His RBC and WBC are also going down. What can be the reason?  Read Full »

Does a cirrhosis patient require medicines to increase platelet count and Hb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a liver cirrhosis patient. My platelet count is 72,000 and hemoglobin is 10. Everything else including protein and albumin are normal. The doctor is giving Ricovir 300, Pantosec 40, Udliv 150, Vitamin A to Z daily and Lasilactone 50 mg on alternate days. But, he is not giving any...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now