Q. I feel as if the skin over my belly button is firm. Is it hernia?

Dr. Dalia Mostafa Nayel
Published on Jun 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2019

The top of my belly button, that is, the skin of my belly button is hard and firm, and the rest of my belly button is not. I feel as if there is something under the surface. I changed my diet, so I lost some weight. I was 168 lbs, and now I am 135 lbs. If I place two fingers over my belly button and do wide circles, I feel like there is something hard underneath. Is this a hernia or where my umbilical cord was? I do not have pain or symptoms, but I just feel it firm and hard. What is this?

Dr. Dalia Mostafa Nayel

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

• This is completely normal, and there is no need to worry. This is due to different layers of connective tissues.

For further queries consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Thank you for the quick reply. Is my belly button firm because of a hernia? How can we differentiate between an umbilical hernia and hardening due to connective tissues? 

Dr. Dalia Mostafa Nayel

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

• Here is an easy way to differentiate between an umbilical hernia and normal hardening of connective tissues. Place your fingers on the hardened part and then cough vigorously, if you feel a pulsation underneath your finger or if it gets bigger in size, then this is an umbilical hernia. If you felt no pulsation and it did not get bigger, then there is no need to worry.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Thank you for replying. I do not feel any pulsations when I cough, so this is not a hernia, right? I was just a little bit worried because when I lean way back, the tip of my belly button lifts up a little. Thank you so much.

Dr. Dalia Mostafa Nayel

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

• Since nothing happens when you cough, then there is not a hernia. Your belly button tip may lift up due to some weakness of your abdominal muscles, so I suggest you do abdominal muscle strengthening exercises.

| 

What is wrong in my annual health checkup report?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male. Recently, I have gone for an annual health checkup. Following are the areas which are highlighted as abnormal for which I seek consultation in evaluating it better. I would like to find the root cause for the same along with medication or lifestyle changes, if a...  Read Full »

Will local anesthesia under sedation decrease pain while suturing?

Query: Hi doctor,My surgeon is recommending local anesthesia with sedation for an umbilical hernia. It is a small hernia as per the surgeon, and a small incision and perhaps 1 or 2 stitches on the abdomen will be needed to repair it and perhaps a small mesh on top if needed. I have had a terrible experienc...  Read Full »

I have pain and clicking of joints Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have a joint pain with lots of clicking. On a scale of 1 to 10, it is only 1 or 2. But, the clicking is to the point where it is annoying. Also, my ankle hurts a lot for no apparent reason. I do not know if this is relevant, but my foot used to turn in.  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now