Q. I feel as if the skin over my belly button is firm. Is it hernia?

Answered by Dr. Dalia Mostafa Nayel and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hernia or Umbilical Hernia? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: I feel as if the skin over my belly button is firm.  Is it hernia?

The top of my belly button, that is, the skin of my belly button is hard and firm, and the rest of my belly button is not. I feel as if there is something under the surface. I changed my diet, so I lost some weight. I was 168 lbs, and now I am 135 lbs. If I place two fingers over my belly button and do wide circles, I feel like there is something hard underneath. Is this a hernia or where my umbilical cord was? I do not have pain or symptoms, but I just feel it firm and hard. What is this?