Q. What are the chances of testing positive for HIV after starting PEP within 56 hours of exposure?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I had oral sex with another man a month back. The partner never finished in my mouth. I started to feel symptoms of a sore throat the next day and developed a night sweat that night. I also had swollen lymph nodes. I started PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) within 56 hours of exposure. I never got a fever or rash. My lymph nodes currently have minor shooting pain that is episodic, sometimes tender to touch but not swollen. I have a previous history of HSV (herpes simplex virus) 2. I am currently taking SADBE 3% (Squaric acid Dibutylester). What are the chances of testing positive for HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus) after finishing PEP and testing negative after 4 weeks from exposure?

#

Thank you for the query.

The chances of transmission of HIV by single unprotected oral sex is almost nil unless there are bleeding wounds in your oral cavity. The risk is low to nil. When PEP has been initiated within 56 hours of exposure, the risk is even further reduced. In my opinion, the chances of HIV tests coming positive are very low to almost nil. Go for HIV antibodies test after the first month and third month of exposure.

Thank you for your reply.

How soon do HIV symptoms begin? Do you think within two days is too soon?

#

Thank you for the follow-up query.

There are no specific symptoms of HIV infection. They can remain asymptomatic for many months to years. Some can have symptoms like fever, etc., within 2 to 4 weeks. Symptoms mentioned within two days may be due to any respiratory infection due to contact with any individual. They are non-specific and unlikely due to HIV.

|