Q. Can you get HIV from oral sex if you have a wisdom tooth erupting?

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 03, 2021

Can I get HIV from oral sex by swallowing saliva and from the cut present near the wisdom tooth? My partner does not have any other symptoms and we had sex once with a condom.

#

HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infections can occur through oral sex when the partner has a wound in the mouth or throat. There is a possible means. You have not mentioned the incident. If it has happened recently, a PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) therapy can be taken to be on a safer side. PEP is called post-infection prophylaxis. It is a short treatment taken with certain anti-HIV medications and it reduces the chances of virus replication causing infection permanently. It must be taken in a short time after exposure.

Find out whether PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is needed for you.

You can have a small risk of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection.

PEP can help you.

Revert me at any time.

| 
1 out of 1 likes