Q. Is there any chance of transmission of HIV via small cuts at the base of the penis?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Hi, I ve had a sexual encounter ( risky one ) in which I wore a condom, At the base of the penis I had three smal cuts which I sustained during shaving 5-6 hours befor the encounter The cuts were very small and not bleeding ( bled a little bit when I sustained them and 1.5 days later they scabbed off) . My concern is that vaginal fluid could have come in contact with these cuts since we did a cowgirl position where she sat on my penis. Is there any chance of transmission of HIV via these cuts since the skin on the penis is normally thinner than normal skin. Am I a candidate for PEP?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
# Hi
Thank you for the query.
The chances of transmission of HIV by protected intercourse with a HIV positive person is almost nil if used in a right manner. Here if there is a open/ bleeding wound which has likely come in contact with infected fluid ,there is a possibility of transmission of HIV. If she is negative there is no chance.

You can get her recent HIV status if possible .

Otherwise If you feel the wound had dried and no contact with vaginal fluid, there is no chance.
There is no possibility of transmission by intact skin to skin contact with HIV positive person .

If still in doubt you can go for baseline HIV test as a routine.Consult your doctor for further assessment and taking PEP . PEP has to be initiated within 72 hours of risk exposure, preferably sooner the best.

| 
It was a superficial abrasion which was not bleeding just 6hours old , Im concerned since the base of the penis is not always covered by the condom, so lets say the query infected fluid came in contact with these abrasions which were not bleeding before and after sex .... what are the chances ?

Does a non bleeding wound/abrasion offer entry to the virus

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

# Usually the possiblity of transmission of HIV through intact skin is nil. do your scenario it is unlikely.

| 
But it waa red looking abrasion which I did 6hrs before ... I doubt you can classify that as intact

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

# If the abrasion is red and not healed,there is possibility of it being not intact.There can be possibility of transmission if it comes in contact with infected fluid. If intact no possibilities.

|