Q. Why is there sore throat and swollen lymph nodes after protected sex?

Dr. Kakkar

I am just recently divorced and I have children. I have not had any new sexual partners but last week I met a man and without planning it, by the weekend we had sex. I was under the influence of alcohol so my judgment was impaired. He performed oral sex on me (but I did not) and we rubbed genitals for ages to make him hard. He never penetrated me fully but his penis was around that area for a while and probably pushing around entry area. When we actually had sex, he used a condom and ejaculated into that. I am completely panicked. It is day six and I have got a sore throat, swollen lymph nodes and achy muscles and I am itchy all over. I went to the GP today and was tested for everything but in the meantime, I am going crazy. He is a bit of a stud and has had other women. Do you think I am at risk?

#

Receptive oral sex carries a risk of transmission of herpes simplex virus if he has a history of cold sores. Otherwise, it can be assumed to be safe. HIV is not a risk because saliva is not infectious.

As far as rubbing genitals is concerned, if there was no penetration or any fluids exchanged (precum), then it carries a negligible risk of HIV though there is a risk of genital herpes and HPV especially since it was a prolonged rubbing. However, penetrative sex is not safe, and there is a risk of HIV and other STDs like herpes simplex virus infection, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, and HPV.

You may take a full panel STD screening including genital herpes, gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, and HIV, especially if you are not sure whether he penetrated and if he had precum.

For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|