Q. Why is there sore throat and swollen lymph nodes after protected sex?

Dr. Kakkar

I am just recently divorced and I have children. I have not had any new sexual partners but last week I met a man and without planning it, by the weekend we had sex. I was under the influence of alcohol so my judgment was impaired. He performed oral sex on me (but I did not) and we rubbed genitals for ages to make him hard. He never penetrated me fully but his penis was around that area for a while and probably pushing around entry area. When we actually had sex, he used a condom and ejaculated into that. I am completely panicked. It is day six and I have got a sore throat, swollen lymph nodes and achy muscles and I am itchy all over. I went to the GP today and was tested for everything but in the meantime, I am going crazy. He is a bit of a stud and has had other women. Do you think I am at risk?

#

Receptive oral sex carries a risk of transmission of herpes simplex virus if he has a history of cold sores. Otherwise, it can be assumed to be safe. HIV is not a risk because saliva is not infectious.

As far as rubbing genitals is concerned, if there was no penetration or any fluids exchanged (precum), then it carries a negligible risk of HIV though there is a risk of genital herpes and HPV especially since it was a prolonged rubbing. However, penetrative sex is not safe, and there is a risk of HIV and other STDs like herpes simplex virus infection, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, and HPV.

You may take a full panel STD screening including genital herpes, gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, and HIV, especially if you are not sure whether he penetrated and if he had precum.

For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

| 

Does Itching Disturb Your Regular Activities?

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the diagnosis and management of severe itching. Read Article

Nowadays itching is a major problem or symptom of most of the allergic, systemic or fungal diseases. 4 out of 10 people have had some type of itching problem of the skin in their routine life. Severe itch also disturbs regular activities of daily living of mankind. What is Itching? Itching is de...  Read Article

Can you get STD if your partner has never had sex before?

Query: Hello doctor, My question is that if one has sex with a partner who has never had sex before, not using a condom, can he or she still get HIV/HPV or any STDS.  Read Full »

Is immuno-concentration HIV test conclusive after 15 months of sexual exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old boy. I had a partner for past 2 to 3 years. We performed sex 6 to 7 times. Last was before 14 months and then had a break-up. Now I see that she is HIV positive. Now I fear about HIV because there is high risk and I want to marry another girl. My symptoms are a sore...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now