HomeAnswersCommunity Medicinehiv testingI touched the condom with a small cut. Should I do an HIV test?

Should a patient who touched the condom after protected sex undergo the HIV test immediately?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 3, 2022
Reviewed AtOctober 16, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I had protected intercourse with a sex worker a week ago, but there is a small cut on my hand. I touched the condom. I started taking the tablet Viropil three days after the intercourse. When should I go for HIV tests? I have had pain in my body since yesterday.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The chances of transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) are negligible if the condom is used properly. Therefore, I suggest you go for HIV 1 and 2 and RNA (ribonucleic acid) PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test after 14 days of exposure. Once negative, you can undergo an HIV antibodies test after three months of exposure for conclusive results.

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor for the reply,

I am worried about that. Is there any test to confirm within ten days?


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) 1 and 2 and RNA (ribonucleic acid) PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test can be done earlier, but it is better to go for it after 14 days.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra


Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Community Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy