Q. I am under ART for HIV. If I test for HIV now, will it be negative since I am under treatment?

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I am under ART for HIV. If I test for HIV now, will it be negative since I am under treatment?

#

Despite the currently available antiretroviral therapy (ART), your HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) detection tests like ELISA (enzyme-linked immunoassay) and western blot are not expected to become negative. There is no medically confirmed, published, or acknowledged case in which ART has resulted in negative ELISA or western blot. The parameters that show improvement are CD4 counts (which increase with ART, indicating a boost in your immunity) and fall of HIV RNA (ribonucleic acid) copies (indicating a reduction of viral load). However, it is unlikely that HIV RNA copies will become zero.

|