Q. I am under ART for HIV. If I test for HIV now, will it be negative since I am under treatment?

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

I am under ART for HIV. If I test for HIV now, will it be negative since I am under treatment?

Do you have a question on Hiv or Elisa Test?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Sidharth Sonthalia

FELLOW OF INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF DERMATOLOGY - FISD (DERMATOSURGERY & COSMETOLOGY)., MEMBER OF NATIONAL
Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology

Despite the currently available antiretroviral therapy (ART), your HIV detection tests like ELISA and Western blot are not expected to become negative.

Till now, there is no medically confirmed and published/acknowledged case in which ART has resulted in negative ELISA or Western blot. The parameters that show improvement are CD4 counts (which increase with ART, indicating a boost in your immunity) and fall of HIV RNA copies (indicating a reduction of viral load). However, it is unlikely that HIV RNA copies will become zero.

For further clarifications consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Are my flu-like symptoms due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, About 4 weeks ago, I got oral sex from a partner whose HIV status is unknown to me. I did only that with her. I always thought that it represented no risk of contamination to HIV. Now the thing is that about 1 week after that intercourse, I did a general blood test and found out that ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly pre-existing lesion of herpes or any genital ulcer on the penis during sexual intercourse or oral sex increases the chances of HIV transmission. Your blood report came positive for Herpes 1 and 2. Herpes 1 mostly causes oral ulcers, and herpes 2 causes genital l...  Read Full

How reliable is the tri-dot test?

Query: Hi doctor, I was suffering from extreme fatigue last month, so I got a Widal test, which was positive. I have had typhoid many times earlier, and two years back I got hepatitis. Last month I got LFT and CBC tests, and I am attaching the reports. LFT was normal, while CBC shows lymphopenia and macro...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In your CBC (complete blood count) reports, neutrophils are very high and lymphocytes count is low, which is suggestive of some acute infection in the body. Here, as the lymp...  Read Full

What is the cut-off value for ELISA test?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some queries about HIV, ELISA/ECLIA TEST. What is the cut-off for this test? In some lab reports, they do not mention the cut off rate. They just mention if it is reactive or non-reactive. In some labs, 0.9 is the cut off while in others, it is different. Why is it so?  Read Full >>

Dr. Arun R Kaushik
Microbiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cut-off depends on the kit and the instrument used. For more information consult a microbiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/microbiologist  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now