Q. What should I do to overcome insomnia with panic attacks?

Dr. Vishal Patidar

I am a 53-year-old female. My height is 160 cm, and my weight is 65 kg. I developed insomnia five years ago, and I could not sleep on my own. I believe I was suffering from health anxiety. So, my doctor suggested taking the tablet Mirtazapine to induce sleep which I took for some period. After a year of discontinuing the tablet Mirtazapine, I got psychological counseling, and since then, my sleeping has been fine with an occasional restless night.

In the past few weeks, I have been experiencing panic attacks; I panic while I start to sleep, my heart pounds, I feel some sensation over my chest, and tingling sensations all over my body. This causes me to be very alert, and it takes a long time to feel sleepy again after that.

My main concern is what my next steps should be?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for writing, and I can understand your concern.

I will advise you not to stress as your condition is probably due to stress or anxiety. But to cover our bases, I will recommend you to check your blood pressure, RBS (random blood sugar), ECG (electrocardiogram), CBC (complete blood count), and biochemical blood analysis.

Do you have any comorbidities like diabetes, hypertension, or thyroid issues?

For now, I suggest you take tablet Alprazolam 0.25 mg once a day after dinner for three days.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply

I have no co-morbidities. I will make an appointment to have the tests you recommended. Whenever I have my blood pressure taken, it is generally good, but sometimes on the low side.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

Kindly take the prescribed medicne and let me know if it helps you. And revert with reports of all the investigations.

|